RE: Troubleshooting a runaway

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brasstackminis

Reaction score
OK so I drove Starbuck today...here's what I did:

First I lounged him. Probably for only 5 mins or so, not to work him to death or wear him out, but to reinstill the "walk, trot, woah" and get him into work mode. It also gives him the opportuntiy to kick up and then relax out of my range of fire.

Then I brushed on him and kept reiterating "reeeeeelaaaax" and him putting his head down and relaxing his neck/brain.

I decided that he needed some training on moving OFF of pressure, so I worked on that...reminding him to keep relaxed and his head down. It was amazing how much this helped him to think...having his head down. Since he was caught pushing into the pressure when he was scaring himself.

Then I pulled out the tack...goof ball tensed up.
default_rolleyes.gif
So more head down and "reeeeelaaaax". I put the harness, minus the bridle on and repeated the moving away from pressure relaxed again. I was looking at the fit of the harness and was attempting to get my shaft loops to hang straight. (Something I had been wanting to do but kept putting it off) Well I started thinking about how they were hanging and that maybe the backstrap was pulling on the saddle too much. So I started to adjust the crupper/backstrap. I loosened it 5-6 holes when all of the sudden he tensed up and I realized how tight the crupper/backstrap was when he was tense! It may hang an inch below the dock of his tail when he is relaxed, but when he is scared it is markedly tighter! EUREKA!

So I drove him off and I can tell that he has lost a bit of his confidence, but he still knows what to do. I went down the road, mostly at a walk, making shallow-loop serpentines and pivots as well as lots of transitions. Oh and I rediscovered my half-halt...Not sure where I hid it!
default_risa_suelos.gif
He was really good...only slightly nervy, but his transitions were probably the best he has even done! (Probably something to do with my half-halts!) He was probably a little more on edge because I was a bit on edge too. I was singing to myself and him so that we were calmer. I had my helmet, gloves, and called a friend to tell her where I was going to be, in case someone needed to come and scrap me off the road!
default_new_shocked.gif
It was a short but very good drive and I am happy to report that there were no more runaway runaways!
default_488.gif

Not sure why it was such a big deal THAT time, as I had not adjusted anything since I started driving him, but whatever works! I am glad I watched all those harnessing videos again!
default_laugh.png

Sounds like good horsemanship, tht you went back and double checked everything and then worked on both of you relaxing. It's pretty scary coming back from a run-away...

What harnessing videos are you referring to?

What harnessing videos are you referring to?

I have Harnessing 101 by Muffy Seaton...great video. I also have "Between the Shaves" "Double Up" by Jane MacInnes. My next one to watch is sort of related to driving...it sounded cool. It is called "If Horses could Speak" I read the discription and it is supposed to be a video with 3D animations of horses anatomy and how proper and improber riding effects the horse. I'll let you know how it is, but I have heard good things about it from other forums. It is a video that was discribed to be against Rollkur, which I know is a controversial training method, but I am not sure much more about it...yet.

Karen

I have Harnessing 101 by Muffy Seaton...great video. I also have "Between the Shaves" "Double Up" by Jane MacInnes. My next one to watch is sort of related to driving...it sounded cool. It is called "If Horses could Speak" I read the discription and it is supposed to be a video with 3D animations of horses anatomy and how proper and improber riding effects the horse. I'll let you know how it is, but I have heard good things about it from other forums. It is a video that was discribed to be against Rollkur, which I know is a controversial training method, but I am not sure much more about it...yet.

Karen

I don't think I've ever seen any of those DVDs listed anywhere (actually I think I've seen Double Up & probably have seen the others and just didn't recognize the title?)... Can you tell me where to find them? Can always use more reinforcement in the correct harnessing department!

I've heard of how controversial RolKur is considered... hadn't really studied it enough to make up my own mind on it... From the little bit that I've seen - it looks like they are using overflexing as a way to train the muscles but I'm not positive about that. I'm also pretty sure that that's a very simplistic view of the training method. I know that using draw reins w/ my shetland stallion, arabians and our one purebred Hackney caused overflexing to almost become a habit that's been difficult in some to "fix"... Regardless, that DVD sounds interesting and again, can always learn something new - even if it's then forming an educated opinion of what NOT to do...LOL.

I know what we need to start (if it's allowed?). A list of different driving training books and videos that people can just look up... I know that there is a lot on Amazon but was really surprised w/ The number of videos and books available thru Draft Horse sources that aren't listed on mainstream driving (ADS or CDE sites, etc)... A lot of that does apply to pleasure driving and some to showing mini/shetland in draft classes...

I don't think I've ever seen any of those DVDs listed anywhere (actually I think I've seen Double Up & probably have seen the others and just didn't recognize the title?)... Can you tell me where to find them? Can always use more reinforcement in the correct harnessing department!

I've heard of how controversial RolKur is considered... hadn't really studied it enough to make up my own mind on it... From the little bit that I've seen - it looks like they are using overflexing as a way to train the muscles but I'm not positive about that. I'm also pretty sure that that's a very simplistic view of the training method. I know that using draw reins w/ my shetland stallion, arabians and our one purebred Hackney caused overflexing to almost become a habit that's been difficult in some to "fix"... Regardless, that DVD sounds interesting and again, can always learn something new - even if it's then forming an educated opinion of what NOT to do...LOL.

I know what we need to start (if it's allowed?). A list of different driving training books and videos that people can just look up... I know that there is a lot on Amazon but was really surprised w/ The number of videos and books available thru Draft Horse sources that aren't listed on mainstream driving (ADS or CDE sites, etc)... A lot of that does apply to pleasure driving and some to showing mini/shetland in draft classes...
I just finished watching "If horses could talk" Totally worth it! Now I know WHY I am supposed to do or not do all the things my trainer used to tell me when I was taking ridden Dressage lessons. I'm a big "why" person
default_yes.gif
Oh and IMHO Rollkur Bad
default_nono.gif

I got "If horses could talk" from a company in the UK...because it was cheaper! I think I got the other 3 videos from the Carriage Association of America's website. Here is the link to their "gift shop"

http://www.caaonline...DVD&CatDesc=DVD

You can get the videos from other stores, but they are more expensive there... I also know that if you become a member of the association, they have a library and you can rent the videos for a fee. I like to have them if I have a reccommendation. I was told by a trainer I took some lessons with to get "Between the shaves" I decided that I needed "double up" since I wanted to drive pairs and then I saw "harnessing 101" and because I loved my lesson with Muffy Seaton, and everyone raved about her, I got the other DVD because her name was on it. I now see she has a whole bunch more...looks like I REALLY need to sell some puppies! Anyone need a mini aussie?
default_biggrin.png

I think every horse owner should reed "If horses could speak". It gives you so much insight as to how the horse's body moves, how they bend, and how their muscles develop. Not to mention it talks about the Rollkur, but it has so much information to offer. Both the video and the book are incredible and should be in everyone's library.

Glad to hear you were able to work through your runaway and rebuild his confidence.

Amanda

It's great to hear your workout went so well! I sing to my horses too. :grin

I've got a web page reviewing every driving and horse book I've got in my library but have never uploaded it. Guess I should get cracking on that!

Leia

Latest posts

Back