? re: changing waters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suz

Reaction score
do you think there would be any problem if my horse's water was changed from well water to city water?

I'm thinking of moving him, but he would get city/county water (with chlorine and other chemicals in it) and was wondering if that might upset his tummy.

Anybody ever go through this?

Thanks

Hi,

I have moved horses several times and regarding water, I have never had any problems.

Pam

It shouldn't be a problem. Now,if you had fish, I would give you a whole page of advice..LOL.
default_wink.png
:

Thanks Suz for asking that question. I'm going to be moving mine this spring and was wonder the same thing. I've just started putting apple cider vinegar in their water hoping that would make the change easier. Glad no one has had problems with it.

Thanks Everyone!

Well here's a for instance:

In Florida my horses were ok drinkers. Just ok drinkers. Normal I'd say. The well water down there was disgusting and stunk like rotten eggs. Loaded with sulphur and I dont' know what else but it sure stank.

Upon moving to Tennessee, the well water up here was loaded with iron and I mean loaded with it. It is so bad that all my water buckets and troffs turned orange inside dispite me scrubbing them with clorox on a regular basis. However I couldn't believe how these horses gulped it up by the gallons at first. I guess compared to what they had in Florida, they love this stuff a lot. Then they got used to it and went back to drinking "just ok"

Enter city water now. When we built the new barn, Jerry hooked up the city water to it so no more orange rusty stained buckets. They are drinking that up amazingly well.

Recently, I got a notice from our city water suppier to tell me that the water has been contaminated now for the past month and suggest we all used bottle water or boil it, but they are working on getting it back under control. Gee, that's lovely. How thoughtful of them! This is not the first time this has happened either.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone for their replies :bgrin

I'm glad that the switch has been a positive one for everyone. Makes me feel at ease.

I agree with Marty. The well water down here in Florida is awful and does smell like rotten eggs, etc. And, too much iron definately will turn anything it comes in contact with an orange rusty color.

And Marty, believe me, we've been through many boil water notices with county water and that isn't any fun either. I guess with water you just can't win!

We have been going to about 5 shows per year for the whole weekend while gone, we have well water at home and it is city water at the arena's, never had any problems switching back and forth.

Latest posts

Back