Raven needs help with a school project please

• Thread starter Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis
  • Start date
Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choose one of the following please..

• Supplies needed/brushes-blankets ect

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The purchase price of the actual horse

• Feed and daily maintenance

• Training/promotion

• Vet care/Farrier care

• Showing

• Stallion fees

• Advertising

• Total voters
I picked vet care.

Mainly because of Little Miss Prints though,,,,,,,,,wasn't sure if it meant in general, or for me.

Carolyn

Well since we only show on a local level so far and since our vet and farrier bills only run roughly 1000 a year and since we dont have anyone at a trainers our biggest expense for 14 horses is the daily cost of diesel fuel and purchase of all of our hay at 3.00 a bale and shavings at 4.50 a bale. So my answer had to be daily costs.

I think showing and training fees can be the most consistent big expense but they are not NECESSARY expenses like farrier/vet which happen routinely (routine vet and farrier and no one is free from emergency calls...)

Purchase CAN be expensive but in a breeding program once set, can become nonexistent if you have decent stock to begin with and create nice stock to simply replace older stock.

Andrea

I voted but the way I think of it (in case it helps?) is that no matter what I've paid for the horse, I know that it will cost more to maintain than to purchase because I've never bought one figuring I was going to get out of it any time soon.

So, not counting showing or advertising, but there is the cost of the horse, and then the cost to maintain which is feed, vet, (do my own farrier), time...

And, most of us know, it costs at least just as much to take care of a poorly made horse as one who is very nice.

I would say its the showing. In showing you would have the cost of all the things. I feel of you the showind is the best promosion there is.

I think showing and training fees can be the most consistent big expense but they are not NECESSARY expenses like farrier/vet which happen routinely (routine vet and farrier and no one is free from emergency calls...)

Purchase CAN be expensive but in a breeding program once set, can become nonexistent if you have decent stock to begin with and create nice stock to simply replace older stock.

Andrea

I agree with Andrea.
default_yes.gif
:

Purchase CAN be expensive, but let's face it-- most people pay less to buy one of their horses than it would cost for a colic surgery.

But it depends on one's "luck", and the health of one's horses, whether vet bills are going to be huge, or very small.

It depends on the costs of feed in one's area, and whether one has pasture or not, as to how much feed and daily costs would be. Just a lot of variables.

Since I show, but don't utilize a trainer, I voted for "showing".
default_smile.png
Lori

I chose feed/daily maintenence. Hay/feed can be expensive depending on your area, and you always have that expense every day. Vet/farrier fees can be reduced if you do it yourself, as we do. Of course, an emergency can throw a wrench in your plans, but feeding happens every day and an emergency, hopefully, doesn't. :bgrin

Lucy

Vet Care was my choice.

JJay

PS --- All of them are expensive however - you HOPE the Vet Care will not be expensive

Last edited by a moderator:
Jenn, and I chose #3. I think for the overall life of the horse, feed and daily maintenance would amount to more than all of the other things combined!

Latest posts

Back