Rash

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AppyLover2

Reaction score
I have a rash that's driving me crazy. I try to keep from scratching, but wake myself up in the middle of the night clawing at myself. It started about 3 days ago, just a bit on my chin and nose. Now it's from my forehead to below my collar bone and even on my thighs. Itches like crazy!!!! I've tried Calamine Lotion and Antihistamines; searched the net and even tried oatmeal (might be my comfort food but sure hasn't stopped this itch).

Can somebody PLEASE recommend something. I'm getting desperate here.
default_sad.png

Oh you poor thing. Sounds like it might be an allergic reaction to something, have you eaten anything new? If it is an allergy then antihistimines will probably help, but you should probably see a doctor if it is getting worse not better.

Have you recently changed anykind of body products...soap, lotion, make up, perfume? It maybe from something that you are using on yourself. Or possibly something new for the horses. Who knows. But, since it has spread alot. I would try to get into see a Dermatoligist.

As far as the itching goes, try taking a cool shower, rubbing ice over it, or keeping a cool damp washcloth over it. I hope you can figure out what has caused it, and that it gets better soon.

Its hard to stop scratching no matter what you use.

My daughter gets hives everytime she gets a bad cold.

They come and go and do so for a few weeks after.

Doctor said some people do that.

They get less and less until they go away. She uses something from Wal-Mart called Gold Bond itch cream, it don't help much, but seems to work as well as anything else she has used and its cheaper.

Also takes Benadrill but she says that don't help much either.

When I was a kids I had itchy crud all the time.

I know I was no help at all-sorry.

Good luck.

As it seems to be spreading, it would probably be a good idea to see a doctor.

For the itch, try some Sarna Lotion (I bought it at the local drugstore). It really worked my my itchy bug bites and etc, when nothing else would help. It's about $12 or so for a 10oz bottle, but for me it was worth the money.

The Gold Bond Powder may help some. It helped me when I had itchy feet in the past.

And you might try bathing in warm water with some Baking Powder added........I think that's an old time remedy for all sorts of things like that.....

MA

Are you on any medication? Doesn't have to be a new prescription, it can be from one you've been taking long term, and it just finally built up this allergic response in your system--my mom was on Arthrotec and then celebrex for ages. She got a little scaly spot on her elbow, & the doctor said it was a fungal infection. Next thing she was covered in a rash that was really really itchy. She tried everything. She quit the celebrex & went back to arthrotec. She tried a different blood pressure medicine. She tried cutting out certain foods...finally the doctor said maybe it's the additive in the arthrotec that is put in to protect the stomach--arthrotec & celebrex both have the same additive. Sure enough. She switched to voltaren, which has no additive, & the itch went away. It did take a number of weeks to clear her system though--it wasn't instant when she stopped the medication. Oh, turns out her initial "fungal infection" wasn't any such thing--it was just the very start of her allergic rash.

For other topical things to try--hydrocortisone cream such as cortate; here we can buy it over the counter, but only .5%. By prescription it is 1% (or more)--it works pretty good. I've had a drug reaction rash a couple times; I never found plain oatmeal helpful, but did get some relief from Aveeno products.

Thanks ladies for your replies. My daughter is a pharmacy tech and she told me to talk to the pharmacist. He said it sounds like some kind of infection (not shingles thank heavens) and to try to see a Dr as soon as possible. So, hopefully tomorrow I can get in to see one.

I've put so many drying agents on my face, it feels like old, cracked leather. :no:

I think I'll sleep with socks on my hands tonight. Maybe that will help with the clawing I've been doing in my sleep.

I used to have big welts on me (hives). :no:

I went to the allergist and he prescribed Zantac (prescription) and ranitadine (sp) over-the-counter. That combo seemed to work and eventually, thank God, they have gone away (after a year or so, but hives just have to run their course).

I also used a lotion over-the-counter called Caladryl (it's a mix of calamine lotion and a benadryl type of product I think) for the itching and that seemed to calm the itch. also, put a warm-watered washcloth and hold it on the area. that seemed to help me a bit too.

Good luck! I hope you get it under contraol, as I know the pain you are going through!!

p.s. I also switched my bathing soap to Cetaphil antibacterial moisturizing soap and my laundry soap to All or Purex - no fragrance - no dye formulas - and still use these things to this day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back