Yeeeeeooow! Deer Flies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickie gee

Reaction score
I am about 90% sure that is what these nasty flies that showed up here Sunday are. Whatever they are, their bite is painful. I did not get bit today, but the two days before were awful. They come at you like stealth aircraft, hone in, and hit you with their dagger like mouth. The first one was to my collar bone area and it felt like a needle had hit me. I also have a bite on my shoulder and one on my forearm. They make a raised area that looks just like a target that had a shot to the bull's eye. They are painful and they itch like crazy. I am using camphophenique, Benadryl stick, and even tried oragel. They got me the worst on Sunday while I was doing lots of weed eating.

I know I saw a lot of tail switching with the horses. If they are biting tomorrow I am going to use some spot drops on the horses, although I was hoping to save it for after their spring baths. These things are awful. To top it off, today while I was feeding my mares that are currently in my neighbor's pasture some sort of flying insect with bright red wings got me and another got me while I was cleaning a flower bed. Their bite looks like a red bug bite.

I understand deer flies can carry some nasty diseases. Does anybody have any experience in dealing with these pesky biters?

We get horse flies in the summer that pack a punch. They are horrible and leave big whelps. Dive bombers. I spray as much bug spray as I can on the little ones but once they get bit, they are running/stampeeding to get to the barn for shelter. I think they are made of titanium

we call them May flies here in So. Md. they really like the wooded shady areas, but will bite you anywhere they find you. I spray myself with bug spray seems to help.

We call them deer flies here and they tend to be around wooded areas. They have not made their appearance yet but it won't be long. They are mean lil beggers! I have not found anything that repels 100% so if you find something please share.

Latest posts

Back