Rare Skewbald Miniature horse????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitewave

Reaction score
So I see a local "farm" ad saying they breed the" RARE skewbald and Piebald miniatures horses" "Won't find any like this in the USA" ..Okay now I'm thinking Miniature Gypsy Vanner ? They call them piebald (black&White) and Skewbald ( any other color and white)..Not looking for any more miniatures at this time but hey I gotta see these RARE Minature Horses that are so close to my house I've Never seen them before so I call and go have alooky..

Well I see about 15 Miniatures horses ,yep them there are Miniature horses , quite a few are dawarfy looking.

Meet the owner see one mare that looks more like ayak than a mini ask about her ...." Well mame this Mare here is from Kentucky via England route, She is restered with the AMHA as a Black Pinto Skewbald " I say oh really , may I see her papers? what is her breeding? .. "well mame I will go get her papers for ya I'll sell her to ya fight now for $8000.00 "

Off he goes , by this time I'm ready to RUN for the car , trying to remain calm, and not bust a gut at how he talks...

Long story short : I look at the papers and plain as day it says Black Pinto . BUT (here the scary part) typed next to it says "Skewbald" clearly it has been typed in by the "breeder of RARE miniature horses" so I say to him: "excuse me sir but I think her papers are wrong it should say Piebald as that is black & white , skewbald is any color other than Black & White .

His next words about droped me to my knees : "well mame let me go fix that for you"

I kindly said let me check with my Husband about this Mare and I will get back to you tomorrow" he said great cant wait to unload this tessy"

Okay so I leave, now I'm sick for even going, calling a friend who does resuces to see what can be done,terrible place for these minis to be , junk eveywhere barred wire fencing...

Question is are her papers now Void due to his Typing their "Correct color" as he stated on them..

Jennifer

OMG!! Sounds a bit scary to me. Sad to know there are people out there like that.

My first response to this was "someone still has a typewriter?!?"

I may be wrong and I am sure someone will correct me if I am but doesnt Piebald just mean that the horse has a bald white face???

This guy does sound pretty special and yes I am sure those papers or void now if he has changed them and a person would have to pay to get a replacement certificate.

I probably wouldnt have been able to keep a straight face.
default_new_shocked.gif

Piebald means a black and white pinto. Skewbald is any other pinto, sorrel, palomino, chestnut, etc.

Geez only $8000? I'm shocked that you didn't throw her right in your car!
default_rolleyes.gif

I hope the AMHA papers won't be void since he defaced them! That is, if anyone decides to buy this $8000 mare! (or any of his others) I bet he's defaced all his horse's papers!
default_no.gif

All I can say is unbelievable!!!
default_new_shocked.gif

As far as the technical term of piebald here is a definition. We always referred to a piebald being a horse with a white face, but I guess you learn something every day. LOL
default_wink.png

In British English piebald (black and white) and skewbald (white and any colour other than black) are together known as coloured. In North American English, the term for all large spotted colouring is pinto, with the specialized term "paint" referring specifically to a breed of horse with American Quarter Horse or Thoroughbred bloodlines in addition to being spotted, whereas pinto refers to a spotted horse of any breed. Americans usually describe the colour shade of a pinto literally: black and white, brown and white, or bay and white.

Genetically, a piebald horse begins with a black base coat colour, and then the horse also has an allele for one of three basic spotting patterns overlaying the base colour. The most common coloured spotting pattern is called tobiano, and is a dominant gene. Tobiano creates spots that are large and rounded, usually with a somewhat vertical orientation, with white that usually crosses the back of the horse, white on the legs, with the head mostly dark. Two less common spotting genes are the overo gene, that creates a mostly dark, jagged spotting with a horizontal orientation, white on the head, but dark or minimally marked legs. The sabino pattern can be very minimal, usually adding white that runs up the legs onto the belly or flanks, with "lacy" or roaning at the edge of the white, plus white on the head that either extendings past the eye, over the chin, or both. The genetics of overo and sabino are not yet fully understood, but they have recessive characteristics and can appear in the offspring of two solid-coloured parents, whereas a tobiano must always have at least one tobiano parent.

Piebald in other animals

A piebald (Leucistic) Common GrackleDogs, Birds, cats, pigs, dairy cattle and many other animal species may also be "pied" or piebald. Snakes, especially Ball Pythons, may also exhibit seemingly varying patches of completely pigmentless scales along with patches of pigmented scales. The term was used in The Conservationist by Nadine Gordimer when referring to kingfishers. The various types of magpie are so called because of their pied plumage.

The bald eagle derived its name from the word "piebald", in reference to its white head and tail contrasting with its its dark body.

default_new_rofl.gif
I'm laughing (but also crying) at the blatant attempt at forgery, and false advertising (or true advertising described as rare...ie. "rare piebald and skewbald minis"...ooooo, I didn't know that black and white and chestnut and white was so rare LOL). Is this person just ignorant? Or is he a "snake-oil salesman"? Wow!

Last edited by a moderator:
In the BOOK National Velvet, the horse was a Piebald and that is why he was called "The Pie".
default_smile.png

I haven't heard those terms in FOREVER! Sounds to me this breeder is trying to make money off that fact, selling them as rare. Too bad for any buyer the papers will probably be no good so they's be paying $8,000 for a horse with worthless papers

According to the statement on the back of all AMHA registration papers:

"Alteration of any information entered thereon except by the AMHA Registar will render this certificate invalid."

So he made a mess of his $8000 horse's papers.

I read the title of this post and laughed so hard I spewed coffee all over my desk.
default_new_rofl.gif

Not many people even use the terms "piebald" and "skewbald" any more. Only people I know who do are a couple real old cowboys who ride at my boarding barn.

My god, this person obviously knows absolutely nothing about horses (black skewbald???) and takes everybody else in the horse world as fools. I really can't believe he messed with the papers like that.

Then again, I've seen worse! I saw one person around here who had an appy mini and wanted a fortune for it because it was a "very rare appaloosa" that you "couldn't find anywhere else." ... One of the only appaloosa miniatures in the world, he said! Haha, didn't even have papers.
default_rolleyes.gif

I laugh.

Jennifer, if you would email or IM his info to me, I will pass it on to the registration dept so the know to take a close look at any paperwork from him.

Hey, maybe someone sold him a bill of goods and he is just that stupid?
default_unsure.png
I have seen people do this in many kinds of animals. It is done most often to kids in the pedigreed rabbits. I have seen it time after time someone will say "Yes this is a top show bunny. The color is really rare." Yeh, so rare that ARBA does not recognise it. So the kid spends their hard erned $40 on something that is just a pet. Then you have the party color poodle which is not showable and they say "AKC Registered, Show quality, rare color." then they try to sell the little thing for $1,500. Chances are they will find someone stupid enough to pay it.
default_no.gif

Hey I still have a Typewritter !! LOL I let my kids use it to practice typying and it saves my ink in my printer..LOL

This gentleman really did seem to know alot about his walking Horses that he lets his 13 year old gallop down the middle of the street and now I know who is harrassing my stallion with his mares and now I know just where he lives..LOL

Time to put the Hot wire back on the outside of the fence to keep him at bay so to speak....He and other of his friends contiune to ride there horses in our neighbors back forty and before I put up hotwire on the outside and inside of my fence I have cought his friends in the pasture on their mares running from my stallion, and very madd gelding..LOL

I am going back there this weekend with a friend of mine who rescures horses to see if she thinks we can get them out of there, cant put any here for they will see them when they come and ride.

Jennifer

P>S> Jody I Pm'd you.

In the BOOK National Velvet, the horse was a Piebald and that is why he was called "The Pie".
default_smile.png
That's exactly what I was thinking while reading this. I can still hear a very young Elizabeth Taylor gushing,"The Pie! The Pie!" I think the horse in the movie was a bay so Liz sounded goofy saying that.

default_smile.png
That's exactly what I was thinking while reading this. I can still hear a very young Elizabeth Taylor gushing,"The Pie! The Pie!" I think the horse in the movie was a bay so Liz sounded goofy saying that.
Solid Chestnut
default_wink.png
I always laughed at that too
default_rolleyes.gif

Wow, what a guy :DOH! Keep us updated!

So I see a local "farm" ad saying they breed the" RARE skewbald and Piebald miniatures horses" "Won't find any like this in the USA" ..Okay now I'm thinking Miniature Gypsy Vanner ? They call them piebald (black&White) and Skewbald ( any other color and white)..Not looking for any more miniatures at this time but hey I gotta see these RARE Minature Horses that are so close to my house I've Never seen them before so I call and go have alooky..
Jennifer
Jennifer, I have a mare that really does look like a miniature Gypsy Vanner. She even has the natural curly mane and tail. She was not 8k though, I got her for a couple hundred dollars because the owner had her AMHA papers and no transfer form, so I do not know if she can be registered. I am aware that typing in my own name won't help get her foals registered. lol Hopefully I can get her paperwork taken care of. I am just a couple hours south of Indy, if you are ever down this way you are welcome to come visit.
default_smile.png
She is not for sale, even if we cannot get her papers, but then again, if someone offered 8k...hmm...lol

Carrie

my shetland from France is a Piebald...she is white with a black (although its only black for 1 month of the year then turns dark bay) hind leg and tail, also with a black /brown head and a white blaze, very cute , but 90 % white...so is she also a paint?

Back