Rain rot

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen M White

Reaction score
One of my guys, Horhay has some rain rot spots. Any recomendations that people have used that work well for clearing it up? I just got 2 rain coats for them today for when it's bad out, and the vet is coming out Monday for overall checkups and fecals, so I will ask her also. Just wondering if anyone has had this and what they used.

Thanks!!
default_smile.png

I would seperate him from the others and keep him in a dry place. I wouldn't cover him up with a blanket because his skin needs to breathe. If his hair is really thick you may have to clip off some of his hair. The best option is to give him an iodine bath daily for a week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with JMS, don't blanket, the skin needs to breath. If your horses are in acold climate, this time of year, you can carry out a small bucket of warm water and a rag. After removing some of the top layer of hair, scrub with betadine scrub and rinse off with the warm water. Also do not use straight iodine as it can burn the skin, and don't clip under any scabs as it will cause pain. After the scabs start to loosen, should take a few days or up to a week then you can try to dislodge them carefully, but if you find any resistance just leave them until they loosen.

I once bought a colt with rain rot all over his back and hips, it took sometime, but was worth it.

Also once the weather is warmer you can bath and clip all the areas that were effected and treat again, to help with those awful black marks that appear after.

Mouthwash works I have been told. Though you probably have to dilute it with water.

I have found MTG to work well on rain rot and not require bathing to treat. Just soak each sore with the product. MTG is both bactericidal and fungicidal and you often have both going on with rain rot.

It makes a greasy mess and doesn't smell too good, but it sure works.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used vinegar and water..it worked....twice a day

..someone told me iodine shampoo. Haven't tried it yet.

I've only encountered this once so far. I purchased this topical treatment from my local feed mill:

Well Horse

You have to pick away the dead skin and "clear the edges" as I remember it. It was messy to apply and of course, this was on one of my pintos in her white area, so it looked like a mess. And it's not cheap.

BUT it cleared it up FAST.

My vet later said the Betadine *scrub* also works well.

MTG. I use it all the time on rain rot & mud fever & everything else. I manage a large hunter/jumper barn & they always have one thing or another. Does make a mess, but it loosens the scabs being oil & heals the skin underneath.

I use equyss micro tek... shampoo and spray. It works well for me.

Second the Microtek recommendation. Catch it early and you can just spray it on and scrub it in with a rubber brush and leave it. Usually clears up the rainrot in one or two applications. Good idea to wash all your brushes in iodine solution to make sure you don't spread the fungus around.

I have heard of horses reacting to MTG with swelling and hives. Also if you are sensitive to sulfa drugs like I am, you should avoid it too. it is a good product, but IMO never worth the stink it makes. LOL. PU

The Microtek Spray....test a small place first. Have had it blister the skin.

Actually a good idea with any product.

I would seperate him from the others and keep him in a dry place. I wouldn't cover him up with a blanket because his skin needs to breathe. If his hair is really thick you may have to clip off some of his hair. The best option is to give him an iodine bath daily for a week.
Agree.

We have also used Providone Iodine 10% straight (10 days and don't wash off) on small spots with great success. (as per vet instruction)

Clean the area, pull away/out the dead hair and dose with iodine. No blankies or anything covering the area.

I am fighting this with my nog horse right now and the "Horseman's Dream Fung-Away" has worked WONDERS!!!! Here's a link for the info http://www.rods.com/Horsemans-Dream-Fung-Away,5761.html It is awesome for any fungal bacteria. We had a pretty severe case this time and we just pulled all the scabs off first, rubbed the fur backwards to open it up to the skin and sprayed against the grain to be sure it got SOAKED on the skin of the affected area and the area around it. I then rubbed it in really good and kept him in a dry place. Also, from another forum I am on, I learned that rain rot can also be cause by a vitamin A deficientcy. Vitamin A is readily available in fresh green grass, but in the winter months when grass is at a minimum, the vitamin A is lacking. Hay carries the vitamin A for about a month or so, but then it starts deterioration. The lady's solution for me was an oral form of a vitamin supplement from our co-op or wheat germ oil added to their daily diet which has a natural source of vitamin A. I chose the wheat germ oil so that we could attack it from inside and out. He hasn't had a touch of it since!! I am continuing to check him every day, but onl continue the wheat germ oil. The topical treatment of Fung-Away is only neccesary for the first 2-3 days after you remove the scabs. GOOD LUCK! Let us know how it goes!
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back