Racing Fans!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My pick was Eight Belles.
default_no.gif
RIP Eight Belles, she ran a great race...
default_sad.png

She ran a great race.

I think we should all keep her connections in mind, it will be a very difficult time for them.

I am mourning the loss of the filly, too. In my opinion her loss and the loss of countless others like her in the industry needs more attention in this and every discussion related to this industry. I do not feel the need to start a new thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Threads frequently take many twists and turns that were not intended by the original poster, just like natural conversations in real life. I too think that there are problems with this industry. I do like to watch these Triple Crown races but that about all I have to do with racing. I wish the racing people would slow down a bit and let the horses grow and mature more before putting so much stress on their bodies. I wonder how many fewer injuries they would have that way? However, realistically, no matter the age when they started there would be some that would break down under the stress.

I loved Eight Belles and it's such a tragedy
default_no.gif
poor mare.

I noticed it looked liked something happened but I didn't even know she was down until it showed her on the ground afterwards.

Apparently the outrider was already there and all of a sudden both ankles just collapsed and she immediately went down. When the vet was interviewed he said he had no explanation why it happened. It was just too much stress on her and she broke down.

What a heartbreak - last year Barbaro and this year Eight Belles. Seems like a lot of bad racing luck. I always watch the race, but this year told my husband, I just can't as it really upsets me when one of the horses breaks down. RIP Eight Belles - you ran a great race from all accounts. Have to say congrats to Big Brown though.

Barbie

Never really cared for horse racing. They are young. I am done. Poor girl....
default_no.gif

I am not watching horse racing anymore i loved Eight Belles and barboro

Never really cared for horse racing. They are young. I am done. Poor girl....
DITTO!

I didn't watch it, thank heavens!

I had to come back to this thread and add:

I don't know if this will help or not, but when a horse breaks down in a race, the adrenalin is pumping so hard that the horse doesn't really realize it, and is usually euthanized before it starts to feel the pain
no offense, but no, this doesn't help me understand the ridiculousness of an animal being basically "run to death"...to me, this is like saying when pit bulls fight, the adreneline is so high, they don't even realize that their guts are hanging out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back