Rabies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strass

Reaction score
I'm working tonight and my wife just called me to tell me that my faithful companion for the last decade is gone. She found him lying peacefully in his favorite dogloo. He’d been dead for only a couple of hours.

I picked Rabies from a litter of 16 back in ’96. His grandpa was an AKC Champion and his father was showing at the time. Rabies was the most attentive and curious pup in his litter. Those traits never left him and he proved to be the dog I had always dreamed of. People thought I was insane when I actually registered him under the full name “Rabiesâ€. (If you got to know how loving he was, you’d get the irony.)

I got him to be a show dog, but an accident at 5 months old left his front toes messed up. When he was 2 yrs, someone fed him a brillow pad in hamburger to try to kill him so they could steal my lawnmower. Over the years he had several surgeries to correct the problems from that heartless act, but it seems that it finally got him.

Despite this, he was extremely happy and incredibly active. We lived alone for several years and used to jog together daily. I trained him to do a lot of fun tricks and he was always a well-behaved companion who was tolerant to a fault, obedient and loyal to the end.

He never saw a miniature horse until he was 7 years old. Still, the old dog learned some new tricks and became an ideal herd guardian. In particular, he was extremely fond of our stallion, Redi, and I got up several mornings to find the two of them sleeping curled up together.

Rabies and I went through a lot together. He was by my side as I suffered some of the most difficult parts of becoming a man (divorce, loss of family members, etc). Many times, he was all I had. Soon, I’ll have to find a new LGD to train, but I can’t take the thought of it right now.

Rest well, my perfect puppy…you were the best friend a man could ever hope for.

rabies.jpg

Oh my heart goes out to you. They are always there when others aren't. Thank you for sharing Rabies with us. I smiled and cried at his story. I think the guy who wanted the lawnmower should try a grillo pad. Grrrr...

Rest in Peace Rabies.

Surely he is resting in wait for his master, to welcome and comfort you as you and he reunite.

I am sorry for you left behind to wait for that day, I know losing someone close to you is difficult to bear, be they four or two-legged.

My thoughts are with you,

Liz M.

Oh, Mike, I am so sorry. My thoughts are with you. (((HUGS)))

Linda

Roxy's Run Miniatures/Renditions

I am so sorry, Mike. I know how much it hurts to loose a dog. They are not LIKE family. They ARE family and I'm so sorry. He was a beautiful boy with very kind eyes. I do not think I have ever seen a Rottweiller (sp?) with such an honest, good face and I have known a couple very sweet ones. His expression in that picture really shows a GOOD boy. My heart goes out to you and your family.

rabies.jpg

Thinking of you and Rabies, Sorry to hear of your loss, it will be hard to replace your special freind. :no:

Oh my heart breaks for you. What a sweet, beautiful and dedicated little face Rabies had. The loss of a beloved pet like this is such a heavy ordeal. I can only hope that in time you will find comfort in the wonderful memories this beautiful boy gave you. I am so sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry for your loss of Rabies. He was a beautiful dog. You will never replace him, but hopefully anoher pup will carry on for him.

I am so sorry for your loss. I do love the Rottie's and I hope to someday have one in my life again.

Robin

I am so sorry Mike. All of my dogs have been like family too and it never gets any easier to lose a beloved companion. I hope in time you will feel up to starting a new friendship with a different fur buddy.

Pam

Last edited by a moderator:
What a beautiful face and beautiful spirit......... He was that "one in a lifetime" dog, wasn't he. He was a family member with fur.

With the bond you had I suspect he is not very far away from you in Spirit........

Blessings,

MA

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back