Rabies Vaccination

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantminimore

Reaction score
Do you have your horse vaccinated for rabies every year or do you have it done every other year? My last vet said it was fine to do every other year and the new vet recomends it every year.
default_wacko.png

The vaccine is only approved for every year use. Every other year would void the "guarentees" which the government offers. Horses that are exposed to rabies must have been vaccinated that year or they are subject to decapitation and testing.

Its a very cheap vaccine, you are best off doing it every year.

Y'ep, every year, at the regular horse dose. It is not pro rated for minis. I would imagine, if you are in Maine, you have racoons, opossum, skunks, bats that like to hide out in barns, all kind of critters that can potentially carry rabies. Not to mention, curious dogs that come in contact with those critters and possibly in contact with your horses. Better safe than sorry, it is a cheap precaution.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt] Same as all the above in Missouri! I tried to get Doc to do it every 3 years since that is what we do for dogs and cats and he said no that is was labeled for 1 year only in horses....[/SIZE]

April

rabies vaccinations are by law in most states done every yr for horses, if you show you have to have a vet certificate for the vaccine, rabies is (here in mass & r.i.) not recognized unless done by a vet but they are available to us to order and do ourselves just not recognized

Latest posts

Back