Vaccinations

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maewest4u

Reaction score
My two miniature horses were vaccinated two days ago. One is still lethargic and grouchy. His neck is sore on one side. He is four years old and hasn’t been bother by annual vaccinations previously. Anyone experience this? He is eating and drinking fine. No other symptoms.

I have. Some horses seem sensitive to certain shots. I would call the vet just to find out if they changed brands. If they did, changing back for next year will probably fix the issue. If not a horse can get more sensitive every year. I was told that gently exercising them after the shots can help.

My Arab used to get very sore from tetanus shots in particular, to the point that I stopped giving them in his neck and had them give them in his rump. If he got it in the neck he would spend several days in discomfort. And definitely agree that different brands can cause different reactions. Dividing the shots into more than one session separated by a couple of weeks can help if you can swing it, if you're giving more than a couple of different vaccines at the same time.

I have. Some horses seem sensitive to certain shots. I would call the vet just to find out if they changed brands. If they did, changing back for next year will probably fix the issue. If not a horse can get more sensitive every year. I was told that gently exercising them after the shots can help.
Thank you for the advice. I gave him some Banimine last night and he feels a bit better this morning.

It's better to space out shots for a mini; so if your vet typically recommends a 7-way shot, break it down into a 3-way and 4-way (or whatever combination) with a couple weeks in between the two shots (give one, wait two weeks, and give the other).

Good to know! Thanks so much. That really makes a lot of sense. Phantom is fine today. A little banimine last night really helped.
Next year I will certainly take your wonderful advice.

Attachments

• 66943B8A-0E94-4260-BF6A-76791BF3FACB.jpeg
    66943B8A-0E94-4260-BF6A-76791BF3FACB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back