Rabies Shots - Do you give them to your horses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please keep in mind that a stray unvaccinated cat or dog can also bring it to a place and bite-scratch or the saliva can carry the disease to your animals. Of course the cat or dog would have caught it from a wildlife creature....another reason to make sure your dogs/cats are vaccinated. Dogs love to tangle with wildlife who are in their territory. Rabies is a cycle...and their always is a carrier to keep the disease alive somewhere....it may not be widespread but it still needs to taken seriously.

BTW...my vet gives the shot yearly...and no ill effects to any of my horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also give our horses rabie shots every year.

Back in 1977 I had an Arab that got rabies, (we assume from a skunk). He was 1 of 4 horses in our state that year that got it.

I , plus 2 other friends of mine had to take the rabies series which at that time was 1 shot twice a day, It amounted to 30 shots total.

And even back then, the shots were very expensive and our insurance didn't cover it.

If you ever see a horse, (or any animal for that matter), die of rabies, you won't soon forget it, believe me it was horrible.

I give our horses a rabie shot every year. I haven't bought them yet this year. But it is really reasonable. I think it is right around $17 for a 10 dose vial. (That will vaccinate 5 horses)

Sheila,

I have never given the rabies shot to my horses here in Oklahoma, but my vet told me just a couple of weeks ago that it is being recommended in this area this year, much like what you said in Kansas.

Rita

I vaccinate for rabies every year also. My Vet said that horses needed it every year even though dogs and cats don't. We have a lot of wild critters here and have had two rabid animals in our yard in the past.

I have had my pregnant mares get the rabies shots and have not had any ill effects.

Latest posts

Back