Rabies shot who gives them?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3234

Reaction score
I give the Intervet 5 in one, but other also say you should give Rabies. Not really knowing if this is necessary can I hear from the other the pros and cons to give or not to give Rabies.

Do you give Rabies shots.

Required here in CT for travel, visitors, horse shows, just about anything. Vet has to give it or at least sign the certificate. I am not sure it provides 100% protection (what does??) but I would not take a chance. So yes, all our minis get one each year.

I did not used to and the vet I had then didn't mention it (he was a very good vet though, not putting him down). Our current vet strongly recommends and gives the Rabies. He said it isn't worth the risk if a rabid animal bit the horse and the horse even drooled on us with an open cut, nick, etc. of contracting Rabies-or the horse either. Changed my mind about it right away.

I do. The AAEP has identified rabies as a core vaccination: http://www.aaep.org/rabies.htm

I work in an equine veterinary office and we highly recommend it. The main reason is that rabies, besides being deadly, can be transferred to one of our vets through saliva. Often the symptoms of rabies will mimick choke or colic and guess where the doctors are going to be sticking their hands when they treat the horse.

Many times we hear an owner make the excuse that their horse won't be exposed to any wild animals because they are stalled at night. But one of the primary carriers that people forget about are bats. Bats can easily squeeze through tiny openings.

Rabies vaccinations are usually very inexpensive and require only one primary dose and then a booster every year. Why take the chance?

Usually only drawback is that some horses may experience a sore neck the next day. A few days of bute will make them feel better.

Last edited by a moderator:
May depend somewhat on the risk in your area but yes, rabies is a real threat to horses and we do give the vaccine.

Jan

Yes, I have personally knew someone in Illinois who's horse had to be put down because it had rabies. I live in the country and just between the 3 neighbors around me there are 26 dogs. I have one, which is not included in that count. My two minis have rabies shots and our dog and two cats do too, I bet 20/26 dogs between these 3 neighbors do not. I have no climb horse fence around my entire property with electric fence running along the outside of the bottom portion of the fence to keep unwanted animals from digging under our fences.

Yes, all the horses have a yearly rabies shot given by my vet.

Yes, mine get rabies every year, and I have the vet give it so it's on record. I have lots of visitors, especially families, and of course for my own benefit. It's worth noting that at least here in PA, horses are held to the same laws as dogs if they bite, which is why I stopped giving it myself and have the vet do it so there is proof that they were vaccinated (In PA it is legal for the owner to purchase and administer rabies vaccination, but not all states allow it).

(In PA it is legal for the owner to purchase and administer rabies vaccination, but not all states allow it).
Pretty sure every State allows the purchase and administration of rabies to your own animal. The gig is that it has no legal backing, so you can't put it on a Health Certificate, buy a license, or have any standing in court in case of a bite.

Dr. Taylor

Actually in NC, you can not even order it to be shipped to you. It must be given by a vet and in the county I live in, thats how they keep track of dogs in the county as we have to pay a licence tax on all dogs and the price depends on if the dog is spayed or neutered, Hunting or show dog are $5 a year. Unaltered dogs that are not hunting or show dogs pay $25. So it also helps some in getting people to spay or neuter their dogs.

As for horses, for the cost of one vaccination a year, its not worth the risk to not do it. I just had this discussion with someone the other day. Without it, the outcome if affected is death.

Actually in NC, you can not even order it to be shipped to you. It must be given by a vet and in the county I live in, thats how they keep track of dogs in the county as we have to pay a licence tax on all dogs and the price depends on if the dog is spayed or neutered, Hunting or show dog are $5 a year. Unaltered dogs that are not hunting or show dogs pay $25. So it also helps some in getting people to spay or neuter their dogs.

As for horses, for the cost of one vaccination a year, its not worth the risk to not do it. I just had this discussion with someone the other day. Without it, the outcome if affected is death.
Same with Texas. Can't even get it shipped here.

I get my guys their rabies when I get their Coggins done. That way I know the date immediately if someone asks!

Ours always get rabies shots here in MN. It just isn't worth the risk for us.

Can't even order rabies vaccine in NM, either. In my area, the risk is low, and I have never had rabies given to my horses, though of course, have to my dogs. Should there ever be any reports of cases in my area, I would get my vet to give them; would therefore have a 'legal' record.

Margo

In 1977 I had an Arabian horse die of Rabies (rather be put down), plus myself and 2 other people had to take the series of shots (way more shots back then )... It was a terrible experience... So yes, all my horses are vaccinated each year. Very reasonable peace of mind

Since moving here,

Yes, I have the Vet give the Rabies vaccines to the horses. And the cats get Rabies vaccines too, via their Vet.
But I give the Rabies vaccines to the sheep and goats, there really isn't a Vet in the area that will take care of small Livestock. Luckily, one can buy the Rabies vaccine here....

other wise I won't be able to give it to my ruminants .

Horse Vets here, flat refuse to give livestock Rabies shots, in fact, they won't take care of them in any way. Never lived in such a Backwards area.

Anyway...

I and my family handle them and the last thing I need is to have them get Rabies. Better safe than sorry.

Latest posts

Back