Rabies shot=sore neck

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHF Fancy

Reaction score
Last Tuesday my vet gave my mini a rabies shot in her neck. The next day I noticed my mare would not lift her head or turn her neck. I talked to the vet who said to give her bute in a very small dose. I gave her two doses over two days but stopped because I'm afraid of the negative side effects of bute. Here we are 6 days later and my poor girl is a tiny bit better but not much. She is eating and drinking ok but still very sore and doesn't want to be touched. Has anyone seen this type of thing before? How long should a shot reaction last? Should I give her some banamine? My vet is not very familiar with minis and does not make me feel very comfortable.

That seems like a long time for a neck to be sore.
default_sad.png
My minis have had reactions like that--but it usually lasts for 3-4 days tops. It's a reaction to something in the shot--but I don't know what. Banamine will definitely make her comfortable, but I'd give her ProBios too--to protect her belly. Did you raise her food and water so she can reach it? I remember having to do that.

We don't do vaccines[rabies being exception as it's law]

I know that any kind of reactions do happen though:(

I did raise everything up for her. I have another call into my vet and I'm waiting to hear from her. I agree that it does seem like a very long time.

What brand of vaccine was it? I've had a lot of trouble with Ft Dodge, rabies in particular, making them sore and have switched to the Intervet. Is there a particular area that is raised and sore? Vaccines can create an abscess occasionally which would be pretty obvious and really sore, and would need to be treated. I'd probably be giving banamine orally and putting some pressure on my vet.
default_smile.png
Vaccine reaction is pretty much the same regardless of horse size, but yes I would be cautious with bute since it's a mini.

Jan

I am not sure of the brand. Placed another call to the vet, still waiting. There isn't a lump or anything noticeable on her neck. I gave her banamine at 10:30. How often can she have it?

I would sure add some Gastro Gard once a day while you are giving banamine or bute. I personally wouldn't give bute to a mini for this in particular- banamiine should be better. Banamine is more for soft tissue inflammation (such as from soreness from a shot). Bute is more for bone issues, if I recall correctly. Sure would be careful on giving bute- overdose is easy and that could be very risky.

Use something other than Ft Dodge, IMO.

I have that happen. I use banamine and linament. She will improve quick. And yes, it was Fort Dodge. This year I ordered another brand, I think intrvet. Just make sure the vaccines are made in the USA or Canada.

Personally, I like the GstroGaurd and I really only give 2 doses of banamine per day for this. My friend said banimine, even the injectable can be given orally. I have yet to try it, but she works with a mini vet and says this is the way to go.

I hope she feels better.

We avoid Ft. Dodge as well....And yes, Liquid Banamine given orally is what we've been doing for years. It enters the horse's system twice as fast as the paste and you can dose them more exactly without a risk of the ring-lock popping on the paste tube.

My other question regarding the vet giving the shot......Did it HAVE to be in the neck? Unless the horse is a kicker, we prefer giving shots in the butt muscle.....and even then, it's low on the muscle so if by chance there's a reaction/abscess it will drain easier. (Thank heaven we've only had that problem a couple of times in almost 20 years.)

I used Ft.dodge rabies vaccine in 2009 7 bad reactions out of 14 horses.My stallion didn't walk right for 2 weeks and was dragging his front leg.I am done with FT>DODGE I switched to Intervet vaccines for all other shots last year-not 1 reaction of any kind.I am using the new Intervet rabies this when when I do shots.Cost is a little more but if my horses don't hurt I'm ok with that.Your horse will get better-it will just take a while.Hot compresses at the site may help/Keep us posted about the progress

My one little guy has a reaction each time he gets his vaccines as well. At first it was pretty bad like your's where he would be sore for like a week...then what my vet started doing is she first gives him a Banamine shot then gives whatever vaccines he needs. Altho he gets a bit sore, it only lasts about a couple of days and he is more comfty than before. Oh I should also mention that after she leaves, I follow up with Banamine Paste for the next couple of days

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally talked with my vet and she said to continue with the banamine once a day as needed. In the future she said we should give banamine the day before shots and then again the next day. I did ask about the rabies vaccine and it was from Fort Dodge. I let her know about the troubles it causes in mini and she made a note of it. I hope my mare is better tomorrow. It's killing me seeing her in so much pain.

I had this happen, going into a holiday weekend, of course.
default_no.gif
It was "where" he injected him in the neck and in this case it was sedation for teeth floating (he's terrified.) My vet did not give the shot but did explain that there is a specific place in the neck to give shots and if it's too high up it can cause a very sore neck. You mentioned your vet is not familiar with Minis so maybe he couldn't quite get it right. My poor guy was doing exactly what yours was doing; hanging his head, not wanting you to touch him. I could figure out what was wrong with him until I stooped down to put my ear to his belly and looked up at his neck, under all that winter fur, and I could see that it was swollen. Not just the injection spot but a good part of his neck. I couldn't see it until I got in that position. We actually stood out there every few hours and iced his neck. After a couple days we used a microwaveable heating pad which he really seemed to like. It took 3-5 days for him to get back to normal. So it may be the vaccine but it also may be where he got injected.

Good luck and hope your horse feels better soon.

I just had another thought...the vet hasn't been out to give spring shots so I'm trying to remember from last year...but seems to me that my guys get all their vaccinations in the rump.

Maybe next time you could ask your vet if this is possible.

Thanks for all of the advise. My mare is finally feeling better. I gave her 2 doses of banamine over the last two days and that seemed to make all of the difference. This morning when I went out to feed, she was lifting up her head and trotting around her paddock. I went in and she came up to me for attention which she hasn't done since her shot. I will give her the rest of her shots in her hind end from now on and a dose of banamine before.

Latest posts

Back