Quiessence

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseMom

Reaction score
I have a mini stud that has a bit of a cresty neck. I've seen Quiessence advertised in MHW and thought that I might give it a try. Does anyone have any experiences with this product? Did it work for you?

Heather

We have used this product for a couple of years and it did help our horses. The thing that surprised us was that it also calms most horses. In fact, it calmed 1 so much we had to take him off of it. But, it did help the neck area.

Pam

I'll have to differ on this. We used Quiessence for months and the results were unrecognizable. At the recommendation of a friend, we switched to the less costly Remission and have seen a difference with that. We buy Remission through Horse.com and are very pleased with the results for a fraction of the cost.
default_yes.gif

We used it on a mare with a history of founder and that had IR. She did great, but then again we also had her on a very strict diet and exercise plan. We eventually quit using it and she still did well, but we stuck to the strict diet so I can't say for sure if it was the quiessence or not. It made me feel like I was doing something to help her. She never lost the crest entirely, but it did go down.

I used Quiessence for months and didn't see a result. With a diet change. Now I use Remission and a further diet change and can see results. You can also get plan magniusum oxide and do the same thing even cheaper I'm told. I think you have to include the diet change to see results. Remove the sugars and keep them on a low starch diet and I've even restricted day time grazing to help. Good luck.

I have Jay on 1.5 pounds a day of the Mini Horse Platform feed and he only gets a flake of hay a day divided between am and pm. He's also on a dry lot with hand grazing for an hour a couple times a week. I've also been lunging him with a sweat on for 30 minutes 3 times a week and ground driving him 2-3 times a week for an hour. Maybe I'll look into Remission, seems most people have had a better result with that. How much did you feed your horses of the remission?

Heather

I have Jay on 1.5 pounds a day of the Mini Horse Platform feed and he only gets a flake of hay a day divided between am and pm. He's also on a dry lot with hand grazing for an hour a couple times a week. I've also been lunging him with a sweat on for 30 minutes 3 times a week and ground driving him 2-3 times a week for an hour. Maybe I'll look into Remission, seems most people have had a better result with that. How much did you feed your horses of the remission?

Heather
I feed Remission to a founder prone mare and a second mare that is cresty; they are both B mares, so I give them the small end of the enclosed scoop daily. [Remission comes with a scoop, it measures out a Tablespoon on one end, a teaspoon on the other; so I'm feeding my B mares 1 teaspoon daily.]

We have been using Quiessence for a couple of months now and have seen some difference. The crest does seem a little smaller. We have 3 horses on it and all three crests have softened, and are not quite as thick.

Might have to check into Remission, but would like to give Quiessence some more time.

Big supporter of Quiessence here, but I use it to calm my gelding and keep my "cold backed" horse happy. My vet did tell me that Epsom Salts do the same thing as Quiessence and Remission for the chesty neck...has anyone tried this?

Courtney

Latest posts

Back