Quiessence

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well something to keep in mind is that the horse is young and nerves are to be expected. As they mature it generally gets better. Also the more you take the horse out the better it gets. When using this kind of stuff you run the risk of taking away that all important "show presence"

Just for me I prefer to handle these issues with training and handling verses going for the quick fix.

I have used quietex on stallions for when vet procedures need to be done and it just takes the edge off.

KayKay, Mag and B-1 isn't going to make your horse less showable. Any more than you taking Mag and B-1 is going to put you asleep.

There are some horses that are truely def in these two much needed vitamins, that without them it is hard for them to function normally. This is why a blood test is important.

Wish you were closer and I would show you how much training Dyfra has.. She is 10 years old now and I have been working and training her for 6 years. And what she is like with and without these vitamin supplements. In her case, these vitamins are not used as a "Quick fix". They are needed,she needs these vitamins to be more normal. It takes the edge off, puts her blood work more normal... even with these vitamins..which makes her safe to be around....she is still just like a Sports cars.. lots of go but control-able and no blind panic.

Even with all the training she has...if she is not on these vitamins she reverts back to the way she was.....and she doesn't even have to be around people. She would blind panic around her buddies in their pasture....any thing could and would set her off..

Her Sister and Dam are both like her.

For many, Mag and B-1 are not, in any way, a quick fix.

Well something to keep in mind is that the horse is young and nerves are to be expected. As they mature it generally gets better. Also the more you take the horse out the better it gets. When using this kind of stuff you run the risk of taking away that all important "show presence"
Just for me I prefer to handle these issues with training and handling verses going for the quick fix.

I have used quietex on stallions for when vet procedures need to be done and it just takes the edge off.
I am not worried about loosing that show presence, i know that will always be there, i am not refering to giving a shot of dormasedan which puts them fully out, even training & handling has its limits with some horses and that is the case with this horse. What this is, is nerves and just a bit to much edge. Hot would be an understatement, on fire would describe this horse much better. I can handle and work with "hot horses"...but there are some things just out of ones control, i'm talking just a very very energetic horse...jumping up and spinning in her stall..i have her on Gro N Win which is low starch. Thanks Shari
default_smile.png

I use Quiessence on my moody broodmare and have for several years. It has made a great difference in her attitude. She use to come at you in the stall while you were on your side of the door and now she is as calm as can be. I'm in and around her much more with no problems. She still lets you know that this is her home with her ears back a bit but nothing like before. It hasn't effect her foaling in anyway. Love the stuff it's worth every penny I pay for it.

Shari

If a horse is deficient in vitamins then yes by all means get that fixed. But no one can know that without pulling blood and looking. That is what I mean by trying an easy fix. Without pulling blood and just supplimenting the horse you still dont know what problems are there. And I will always be a big believer in handling. I have had so many wild untouchable horses here through the rescue and with handling every one of them has come around. Some will never be pocket pets as temperment is inherited as you found with your horse

Im just curious if her sister and dam are both vitamin deficient too?? Then that would point to that problem being inherited also.

It could be so many different things and all any of us can do is guess. I would just get a vet out and do a complete work up and see what is going on verses just buying suppliments and trying them to see what happens.

Good luck with your horse leeanna

kay

Okay, MinisOutWest, I'll bite...

What are the ingredients you are talking about in your post?

And what happened to a horse at Worlds????

We use Remission, primarily for the cost-savings, but we had used Quiessence without deleterious effects.

Can you explain your post more fully?

Thanks.

Shari
If a horse is deficient in vitamins then yes by all means get that fixed. But no one can know that without pulling blood and looking. That is what I mean by trying an easy fix. Without pulling blood and just supplimenting the horse you still dont know what problems are there. And I will always be a big believer in handling. I have had so many wild untouchable horses here through the rescue and with handling every one of them has come around. Some will never be pocket pets as temperment is inherited as you found with your horse

Im just curious if her sister and dam are both vitamin deficient too?? Then that would point to that problem being inherited also.

It could be so many different things and all any of us can do is guess. I would just get a vet out and do a complete work up and see what is going on verses just buying suppliments and trying them to see what happens.

Good luck with your horse leeanna

kay

Thats why I say blood work is important.

Yes,,, Dyfra's sister and Dam have been tested too. Also know a number of Icelandic's with this issue where their owners don't know what to do and can't handle horses like this. They end up being thrown in the back pasture and being breed. In Iceland there would be a good chance these horse would be Sunday dinner....so the issue doesn't continue. In the US people just breed them.
default_wacko.png

There are a few of us that have been around Icelandics for a long time. We are beginning to wonder if the forage in Iceland have the extra Mag and Vit B-1 some of these horses seem to need. There has been some testing done in Iceland before the economy crashed, that was showing this to be part of the issue. The forage in Iceland also had other mirco nutrients that we don't seem to have here in the USA. Other issue... in winter for a 1000 years... the horses got salted harring, normally put out in barrels for the horses to eat when needed. Sure their bodies got used to the oils and such the fish provided.

They still have more research to do.

kaykay - sometimes all the handling and training in the world cannot help. My Quiessence/Quietex /whatever candidate is an Icelandic gelding. Nor (his name) does not have the deficiency that Shari mentioned... when I heard of that I had blood pulled in a hope that I could help him - but he was fine. His eyesight is also fine. He can hear an oat hit the bottom of a bucket a mile away. All senses check out.

Nor is simply.... a headcase. My "rescue", in a way. There is no other way to put it. I watched him (from the barn) spook at something waaay out in the field and spin and run flat-out into the fence.... no handling issues there. No one was near him. I had him in a ground work clinic a few years ago - and the annoying and smug NH clinician assured me that I was Nor's problem (he was standing there quietly with me and she had yet to see him have one of his episodes) and that she could "fix" him.

Sooo she took his lead shank and contined talking to the class and walking around while I watched... Nor was calm and relaxed... and just as the clinician started to say that he was obviously not what I had said he was.... he exploded. I have no idea what set him off. That woman decided she could wrangle him - and when he felt her shank him hard and yell - he went straight up - and over - pulled her over in the dirt (wrenching her knee) and then turned and ran to me.

She then informed me he was retarded and that she could not work with him. Oh really.... I stayed in the clinic - with Nor - for the rest of the weekend and we were successful at all the exercises. He was relaxed and happy and enjoyed himself. But you never know when that switch will flip. Just to keep the farrier - and Nor - safe, I usually give him Quietex or whatever. It works very well on him. His feet are trimmed... I have also wormed him at the same time... he is calm, the farrier praises him... I am happy - and all is well.

Unfortunately, handling and training is not always the solution... the problem may lie deeper.

kaykay - sometimes all the handling and training in the world cannot help. My Quiessence/Quietex /whatever candidate is an Icelandic gelding. Nor (his name) does not have the deficiency that Shari mentioned... when I heard of that I had blood pulled in a hope that I could help him - but he was fine. His eyesight is also fine. He can hear an oat hit the bottom of a bucket a mile away. All senses check out.
Nor is simply.... a headcase. My "rescue", in a way. There is no other way to put it. I watched him (from the barn) spook at something waaay out in the field and spin and run flat-out into the fence.... no handling issues there. No one was near him. I had him in a ground work clinic a few years ago - and the annoying and smug NH clinician assured me that I was Nor's problem (he was standing there quietly with me and she had yet to see him have one of his episodes) and that she could "fix" him.

Sooo she took his lead shank and contined talking to the class and walking around while I watched... Nor was calm and relaxed... and just as the clinician started to say that he was obviously not what I had said he was.... he exploded. I have no idea what set him off. That woman decided she could wrangle him - and when he felt her shank him hard and yell - he went straight up - and over - pulled her over in the dirt (wrenching her knee) and then turned and ran to me.

She then informed me he was retarded and that she could not work with him. Oh really.... I stayed in the clinic - with Nor - for the rest of the weekend and we were successful at all the exercises. He was relaxed and happy and enjoyed himself. But you never know when that switch will flip. Just to keep the farrier - and Nor - safe, I usually give him Quietex or whatever. It works very well on him. His feet are trimmed... I have also wormed him at the same time... he is calm, the farrier praises him... I am happy - and all is well.

Unfortunately, handling and training is not always the solution... the problem may lie deeper.
Which really is my problem, with her the issue is just keeping her in tune, her head and focus is everywhere..she is a BIG filly...45", she is just wired differently. I don't think its anything mental or physical, just general level of temperment.

You are right Tagalong....there are a number of Icelandics like Nor too. Nor is lucky he found you....most couldn't handle what he does.

One reason I will never take Dyfra to a clinic.... I know what she would do. She is happiest with me, trusts me,,,which is also a big thing with some of the Icelandics and we know each other. She could never mentally handle a show or such going on's. It has taken me 6 years to get her where she is now in her training and trust...with her calming supplements... I know it would only take one mess up by another person/clinc..so on, to have her end up like she was in the past. Don't really want to go there again. So trail/Farm horse she is.

I remember stories in the Eidfaxi magazine about Icelandics that were so reactive...even with training.. would end up exploding and ending up bolting into stands of people.

Some horses just can't handle life, or showing or what ever and need help. Training doesn't always help with some.

I called Dyfra, my Strange Duck..but she is really wired different than any other horse I have owned in 35 years..... No buck, bolt, rear in her....just a little ..ah....different.

Leena,, it won't hurt your wee mare to have Mag and Vit B-1. But with some of the more over reactive ones..might take a couple of weeks before you see a difference.

Leeana what is her bloodline? There are some hot bloodlines, but I am curious.

Tag and Shari

I know nothing of Icelandic horses and I have no doubt what you are saying is true. The horse in question is not an Icelandic. And this is not a known issue in ponies. And again the horse in question is very young this is not a mature horse. We have one here that is similiar and as hes matured hes done better. We laughed so hard because the other day he spooked at his reflection in the water tank. Took off running like the devil was after him
default_smile.png
Horses are like people and they are all different. Some have higher flight instincts then others.

All I am saying is that instead of guessing what the problem is have the vet out to pull blood and see what is going on
default_smile.png

Kay

Leeana what is her bloodline? There are some hot bloodlines, but I am curious.
25% Arenosa (which, i know is commonly known for "hotter" horses...but on the flip side, owned a 25% Arenosa paternal brother who was nothing at all like her), Kid Lee on the top and then Georgetowns Tom Cat on the bottom.

Latest posts

Back