Quick Questions about Bio-sponge

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeckyG

Reaction score
I am looking to order a few tubes of Bio-sponge paste.... just to have on-hand for when needed.

I am trying to decide how many tubes to order, and a few questions come to mind.

Are there any special storage requirements?

Does it expire?

If yes..... in general, how far out is the expiration on a new order?

Thanks Much,

Becky

The paste has a shelf life, but if you buy it by the powder, it will last for ever. Only when you mix with water, will it have a shelf like.

I bought the pail and mixed only what I need, when I need it.

I will be going with the powder also for that same reason. It's messy to mix and get in the syringe, but not such a problem to not be worth it. I just borrowed a tube of the paste for my newest foal who developed diarrhea at a very early age. Was out of the powder so I must get on the ball and make an order! Thanks for reminding me!

Charlotte

That's just what I needed to know!

I was just about to place my order..... and thought..... I ought to ask
default_yes.gif

THANKS!!

Becky,

I'd stay with the paste unless you are using lots of it. It has a pretty good shelf life, maybe a year (without looking at the label) and it sooo much easier to dose. Messy is an understatement
default_new_shocked.gif
from what I remember, it wound up all over me and the horses.

I usually order 3-4 at a time to keep on hand.

Jan

I just got a tube for my yearling who was recently hospitalized for colic from the Vet. It is good till 2010, so it's good for about 2 yrs. It does not say anthing about storing but I imagine it should be kept in a cool dry place. It is very thick goopy stuff so it probably would be pretty messy to work with if you mix it yourself. You'll go through the tubes pretty quickly though as the Vet was administering 30 cc/day ( 1/2 tsyringe) .

were do you order Bio- Sponge? I have been looking for it in my catalogs and can not find it! Lorie

I just ordered several tubes of the paste from Heartland Vet Supply. It was $8.95 per tube and it's dated 2010. I will likely use it before it expires!

LOL….. Jan, if anyone can make a big mess… it’s ME! I will heed your warning.

It’s good to know that current orders seem to be expiring around 2010.

I’m guessing that I, too, will need to use it before the expiration….

So convenience is sounding pretty good.
default_smile.png

Back