Quick question about foaling and Stallion behavior...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horsefeathers

Reaction score
As most of you have seen, we are awaiting the arrival of a foal here. Well, today when we were bringing the horses in for their supper, everything was going smooth and calm as usual, everybody was just going through the paces. Well, we checked Mollie and she her bag had shrunk (went from being mid sized and tight to nothing), so we didn't think much of it. Our stallion was acting like himself, playing with Pesto (his son) everything was fine. About an hour later, Pride started acting crazy. He shares a fence line with our big gelding, and normally, they get along great, no problems. Well, Pride started kicking the fence, pawing, rearing, charging him, etc. He has NEVER acted this way towards ANY horse out here, including our big gelding, and they've shared the fence line for 5 years.

Our pastures/paddocks are adjoining the barn, so they are very close to the foaling stall. Could he be sensing something we can't?

I guess my question is... have any of you noticed significant changes in your stallions behavior right before foaling?

Oh, when my husband when out to check Mollie a few minutes ago, he said her bag is full, nipples down, pretty tight, and warm. 3 hours prior, she had almost no bag....

I don't know if I made sense here, but I think that about covers it...
default_wacko.png

Thanks!

Chris

Sorry, I don't have any experience with this but I am very interested to hear what others have to say. And good luck with your foal on the way!!

my stallions have never acted odd... My stallion is pastured beside the mare who just folaed she stands with him each night and he didnt act off at all either,

haven't noticed any changes in stallion behavior... but my cat sleeps with my mares that are getting ready to foal!

Robin

Well, oddly enough our stallion did act really aggressive prior to our mares foaling. He would patrol the fence lines and herd the mares away from all the fence lines. He was charging my Qh's fenceline, my yearlings fence line and even our neighbors cattle along that fence line. It was normal for him to bicker with my Qh gelding, but not the others. I had to move the water tub out away from the fenceline because he wouldn't let them drink. It was bizarre and I wondered too if he was just sensing what was going on. I no longer have him or have a stallion here. I miss him but life is easier.

This is the first time he has ever acted this way, but alas there is no foal yet this morning. It's kinda odd, though the buzzer didn't go off last night or the night before... guess she isn't laying flat out anymore.

Oh, and Robin... I have one cat that hangs out in my broodmare stall, he is the most loving cat.... and he loves to nestle down in that hay.... noticed him there yesterday.

Candice... how long before they would foal did he start acting that way?

Thanks,

Chris

Our stallion is doing this also and we have 3 mares getting close to foaling. I do believe these mares are putting off more hormones which is getting him riled up. Our closest mare Dancer is really setting him off.

No changes in any of my stallions behaviors at foaling time, but keep in mind it is springtime, and if there are any other mares within 'smelling' distance, they are probably cycling and he is wound up for spring breeding...... it's just 'that time of year'...!

I've been curious about this as well. My mare is due very soon (any day) and lately her and my stallion have seem much more "attached". He gets upset if she leaves which is unusual for him to actually get worked up and she gets very very antsy if she is away from him. And this is coming from the little girl who pins her ears or squeals at him if he even looks at her wrong!!!! She has never minded being alone either and now to see her so upset at being alone right now is very interesting. So I am wondering if it is a change in her temperment due to the hormones???

Chris--are the batteries in your camera fresh? I'll be expecting a lot of pictures of your new arrival.
default_yes.gif

Pasture arrangements here would be oh so much easier without a stallion, but he's worth the trouble. Due to high winds I had everyone pastured differently today. The mares walked back a ways to be in the sun, still in Jazz's sight, but he went nuts--bucking and running. He could see all 5 of them...
default_rolleyes.gif
Spring. I got the mares out back so he could be beside them. Pampered horses. :DOH!

Karla, I have the camera charged and ready.... We're just waiting on Mollie now! We were supposed to go out of town tomorrow night for Easter, but I think we've pretty much decided to wait and just go early Sunday morning instead.

Mollie is pretty grouchy tonight.... hopefully it will be soon. Our 4 year old Tyler keeps asking... "Has Mollie had her baby yet?" We just keep telling him... Soon, Tyler, soon.... And you know, it wouldn't be so bad but the wires to my camera in the barn broke during Hurricane Humberto and as luck would have it, the company doesn't make that model anymore,
default_rolleyes.gif
so now we are just doing the halter buzzer and baby monitor thing...
default_wacko.png

Chris

Latest posts

Back