Quick Breeding question...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seashells

Reaction score
Is it okay to breed a 35-38" stallion to 35" mares?

(Basically, AMHR "B" SIZED WITH AMHR "B" SIZED HORSES).....and they have many amha horses in their pedigrees....

Please give me your input on this
default_saludando.gif

Is it okay, how? Are you referring to the risk of the foal ending up over 38"? I'd say the risk of that is very high with both horses being that big.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it okay, how? Are you referring to the risk of the foal ending up over 38"? I'd say the risk of that is very high with both horses being that big.
Well, I'm afraid for the mares....are they too small for breeding with the larger sized mentioned?

I may get the stallion, his papers say 35" but I'm thinking he may be a little taller...thus my concern. He's about 11 years old, and proven breeder, nice horse, but concerned about the size thing.

The mare determines how big the foal will be at birth, not the stallion. Even when they breed draft stallions to pony mares, the mare doesn't have any size issues with the foal!

The mare determines how big the foal will be at birth, not the stallion. Even when they breed draft stallions to pony mares, the mare doesn't have any size issues with the foal!
Sounds good. It's been years since I've personally bred horses, and I thought it was best to breed smaller stallions to larger mares so she will have less chance of foaling problems. But I really like this stallion, so I felt better getting opinions on the matter. I understand he's bred with mares around 34 and 35" tall, and the mares foaled without any problems.....but again, I just felt better getting opinions from others. Thanks for writing!

That's a pretty small range. I don't think there's a danger at all. If your stud was 35"-38" and the mare was under 30"-31", I'd start to worry.

It doesn't have as much to do with the size of the stallion as it does with his actual build. If he is heavy boned and the mares are more refined, then no, I wouldn't do it. If he is lighter boned and you have seen his foals to know they will also be light boned, they sure, I would. I have a 29" mare in foal to a 31.5" stallion that sires very refined foals, she will be just fine.

I have two B's that I bred together. And the foal as a yearling is NOT even 29" tall. She is 27" at the top of her wither. As thats the only place her owners can measure.

My stallion is a size reducer. As is this particular B mare.

It doesn't have as much to do with the size of the stallion as it does with his actual build. If he is heavy boned and the mares are more refined, then no, I wouldn't do it. If he is lighter boned and you have seen his foals to know they will also be light boned, they sure, I would. I have a 29" mare in foal to a 31.5" stallion that sires very refined foals, she will be just fine.
You know, I never thought to consider "actual build"....thanks for bringing that up. Good advice!

I was going to ask about the build of the stallion--if he is refined or a heavier built horse, because that is more important than his height.

Our Ice Man is 37" tall & quite fine and leggy. We've bred him to mares ranging from 34" to 38" with most being in the 34" to 36" range. His foals come out tall, but the height is mostly all legs and the smaller mares haven't had any problems at all.

Are you referring to the risk of the foal ending up over 38"? I'd say the risk of that is very high with both horses being that big.
Actually there is no telling about that. From the crosses mentioned above we've gotten some that were very close to the 38" at maturity, and we've gotten some that finished up quite small. The one year they all came out tall, and the next year they all came out small.

From a safety standpoint, it's the build of the stallion that I'd look at, not really the height. Think of all the sport ponies of our Welsh mares and Thoroughbred stallions.

Last year, we have a filly out of a 32" maiden and refined mare by a 34" refined stallion and the mare had no troubles, the filly is fantastic and on track to favor her dam's height. This year, we had a filly out of a 30" maiden mare by a 33" stallion, and again had an awesome filly and easy birth... I think this filly will be around 32" at maturity. I wouldn't hesitate to breed smaller mares to taller stallions providing the stallion is nice and refined.

As to the potential size of the foal, honestly, that is anyone's guess. With minis, think of all the full siblings who mature to different heights. My own sister is about 2" taller than me... you just cannot really predict the size of a particular foal before it's born and even after, it's a guessing game.

Good luck!

I want to keep a close eye on this as I have a stud thats refined from what I can tell who is taller than a mare I may like to breed in the future.

Latest posts

Back