Questions on mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IloveMiniatureshorses

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a couple of questions to ask about mares, but I should know them already.
default_unsure.png

Can you take a mare that has had some foals and show her? Or would you have to keep her as a broodmare? Can you show a pregnant mare?

And this doesn't really have to do with "mares" but, I figured I'd ask. Does anybody know WF Pattons Spring Fever's birthdate And her show record? And, the final question; Does anyone know who currently owns her?

Wasn't she the highest selling horse at the sale? Sorry for asking all of these questions about her, I was not able to attend to the world show.

Alyssa
default_wub.png

I can't answer your questions about the specific mare you mentioned, but I do know that people have successfully shown broodmares in the past. It just takes a little longer to get them into show shape.

Perhaps someone who has actually done it, will post.
default_smile.png

Hi,
I have a couple of questions to ask about mares, but I should know them already.
default_unsure.png

Can you take a mare that has had some foals and show her? Or would you have to keep her as a broodmare? Can you show a pregnant mare?

And this doesn't really have to do with "mares" but, I figured I'd ask. Does anybody know WF Pattons Spring Fever's birthdate And her show record? And, the final question; Does anyone know who currently owns her?

Wasn't she the highest selling horse at the sale? Sorry for asking all of these questions about her, I was not able to attend to the world show.

Alyssa
default_wub.png

Yes, you can show a mare that has had some foals. Depending on her age and how many foals she has had, most mares can snap back into shape. There are Grand Prix Show Jumpers that have had a foal or two.

Yes, you can show a pregnant mare. If you're doing halter, obstacle or hunter or jumper etc. they can be shown well into their pregnancy (I'd say up to 6 or 7 mos.). It's good for them to get exercise (but not too much). I, personally, wouldn't show a pregnant mare as I'm paranoid about showground-borne illnesses, but people do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only say about showing former broodmares or pregnant mares that "it probably depends". Some women can have kids and come back and win Olympic medals, but that doesn't mean everyone can! I have a former broodmare (Fizz) who happens to be open, that I am training for next season in case we can't get her bred. But I plan to show at Pinto shows and mostly performance, which she seems to have an aptitude for. I would not expect that she would compete in halter at the World Show. I also have a mare (Princess) that I might breed next spring and continue to show, because she loves it. She absolutely hates to be left out of anything, so I don't think it will stress her at all to show her close to home. Now, if Fizz happened to get bred next spring, I would not likely continue to show her, because she isn't used to it. So, "it depends". Of course, those are my plans at this time and things could change by next show season!

I dont think I have with the Minis, but when we had the big horses, we did all the time!! We competed while they were pregnant until we knew it was time to call it quits. I have even competed barrel racing and other speed events, but again, I paid close attention and the very moment their times were off or they just didnt feel 100% themselves, that stopped. We just did some light trail riding to stay in shape then....

Our mares were not always pregnant, sometimes we bred one or two every other year..... but yes, those that had had foals in the past were used to show and compete on later as well. I am sure Minis could do the same.

Yes, a broodmare can be successfully shown. Last year a retired broodmare I currently have leased out, won Grand Champion Mare at a local fair under an AMHR Judge, this mare was only 21 (twenty one) years old at the time and the mother of 8 foals. And she looked absolutely awesome.!!!!

As for showing a pregnant mare, our mares do not leave the property once they are bred. In my opinion, every time you trailer a pregnant mare, it causes STRESS, and stress can cause "bad things to happen" to pregnant mares. But just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back