Questions for owners of Busy Snackers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimom1

Reaction score
After reading the other threads on here about the Busy Snackers I am seriously

considering getting some but still have some questions. It only says on the site that it holds a small amount of hay ... how small ????

For the Snacker:

Can you tell me how much hay it actually holds ? Either by pounds or flakes

I usually feed 2 to 3 lbs of hay per feeding per horse and am concerned that

I wont get that much in them.

Does anyone use the larger bags for multiple horses or for large horses ?

How much hay can you fit in the large size bag ?

Thank You very much.

[For the Snacker:

Can you tell me how much hay it actually holds ? Either by pounds or flakes

Hi MiniMom,

I have a busy snacker and when I fed hay, I put 1 pound of hay in it each feeding. You could probably stuff a bit more in it if you tried, but 1 pound seemed to fill it pretty well for me.

- Suz

We just ordered two of those after reading about them on here (Thank you LB!) as a test for the two show horses that are overwintering here. LOVE 'EM!

We got the Busy snacker size and a flake of our bermuda (3-4 pounds) would easily fit in there, but the show horses don't get more than about 12 oz in there at any one time (they are hayed several times per day).

I was concerned about the horses just eating the webbing, ruining the bag and possilby harming themselves, but so far even our most aggressive eater hasn't made a dent in the webbing. It is taking her 2 or 3 times longer to eat her hay and she is much more content.

It wouldn't work here for multiple horses (the bigger bags) as one horse would dominate it and not let the other horse have any.

Charlotte

Charlotte, Thank you that was the answer I was looking for, to see if I could get

2 to 3 lbs of hay in each bag.

I would never feed one big bag to multiple horses either I was asking because I want

to get my QH's each one but want to know how much hay they would hold as I feed

them 7 to 10 lbs each at a time.

I have looked into the bags and they come very highly reccomended as being

non destructable by even the most aggressive eater. So I am sold.

I will order 3 Snackers for my mini's and the Grande Busy Feeders for my big guys.

We've been using the busy snackers for over a year. We can get 2-3 pounds in ours. They are standing up very well to the abuse.

minimom1, the bermuda we are getting right now is very tightly baled so with a looser baled hay I don't think you could get as much in the bag. At least not without working at it, but I was surprised at how big the bags are.

Charlotte

I just got an email back from Busy Horse and they said that the

Busy Snacker holds about 5 lbs of hay and the Grande bag holds about 12 lbs of hay.

Hope this helps some other people with the same question.

I have been using the Snacker for the 2 mini's and the Grande(s) in the loafing stall (big horse) for close to 2 years now. They are holding up very well with no sign of wearing.

I can put two flakes (about 10 pounds) into the Grande, maybe another couple pounds if I really stuffed it. The Snackers can hold about 3 pounds if stuffed tight. But loosly filled it holds about 2 pounds.

I love these things, they have saved me a ton of money and work. My big horse wastes loose hay by dragging it around and peeing on it, then acts hungry. Since I got the Busy Horse feders my stalls are easier to keep clean, manure pile is smaller, feeding less hay, and the horses are occupied much longer.

Thanks to all for your replies ... I have ordered 5 of them.

Can those who have the small and big ones measure the holes, I am courious to know what the hole size is on both.

Also just how big each one is, I would like to get some to hang in the shelters but need to know the hole size and just how big they are tall and wide. Please.

Thanks in advance.

Jan

Can those who have the small and big ones measure the holes, I am courious to know what the hole size is on both.Also just how big each one is, I would like to get some to hang in the shelters but need to know the hole size and just how big they are tall and wide. Please.

Thanks in advance.

Jan

The small one has holes 1.5 inch big the large ones are 2 inch but you can get some

that have 1.75 inch holes. As for bag sizes they have 3 different ones.

They have all the sizes and info you want on the website

www.busyhorse.com

I want to try these, but I don't really like the idea that the bottom doesn't tie down. Does this bother anyone that uses them? Or have you found a way to tie yours down?

I don't mind that they don't tie down at the bottom as it adds to the challenge. It would be easy to find a way to secure the bottom if you want to.

Oh my... NEVER even heard of these. Missed it on here.

I have some big horses that are huge hay wasters.... I NEED to get a few of these for the biggies and the minis.

Thanks to whoever introduced these.... I am ordering.

Will help the show horses stay satisfied longer!!!

I recently bought two of theses and really like them. They do keep the horses busy for longer. I don't mind the fact that the bottom isn't tied down since the horse can get the hay from either side. Mine flip them around and really enjoy playing with them as well.

I bought one to try it out. I now plan to buy one for every show horse stall. Love them!
default_smile.png
A great invention!

We've been using them for years - LOVE them!

LOL Love your name "Dontworrybeappy" . Thank you to all for your replies.

Seen as Christmas is coming I will have to wait to place my order as I have

3 mini's plus one on the way and 2 big horses.

Latest posts

Back