Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodnldy

Reaction score
I never had this to worry about with the full sized horses, but these little guys do like to play with your mind. I only bred two for this year and one didn't hardly look pregnant ,suddenly made small bag then had a lovely little stud colt. small enough to run back and forth under her. She was Maiden no lessand is making a wonderful mom. The second i think just decided to get to fat and fooled me out. She has pones in front of her udder but absolutely no bag. 3 weeks difference in breeding times and pixies foal is 30 days old now. Hmm. Bought two mares,both experienced, no exact breeding date but they are both large and v shaped.LOL best description. now One now has clear fluid in bag ,other nothing so far.. . Now to phrase question . Do mares commonly keep some fluid in their udder? The one mare that foaled last year has had the kiddo weaned for 2 and1/2 months or more and still had fluid. Is everyone having trouble with their kids this year?? LOL Have I confused everyone ? These darlings sure like to keep us on our toes.

Do mares commonly keep some fluid in their udder?
I have several broodmares, older, have had many foals, who always carry clear fluid in their udder, easily expressed. Their udders also always look just a tad congested, like a truly pregnant mare who is at that just beginning to form a bag stage. The nipples are very flaccid though and the bag has no real tone to it. I bred one of these mares last year and kept telling my vet that she just HAD to be pregnant as she was as big as a house (well..she usually is anyway) and had easily expressible clear fluid at the right time (about 30 days out from due date). He kept saying she wasn't. Guess who was right? He was....she never was pregnant, just looked that way. Started cycling regularly right on time this spring and her udder still looks exactly the same, with exactly the same amount of fluid. Started checking some of the other older, many-times-a-mother, but known-to-be-open mares and they are ALL the same way. In fact, the farrier asked me when one of the mares was due, certain that she was going to drop the foal while he did her feet. My response was, "In about 10-1/2 months if all goes right." We both had a good laugh.

Robin C

Thanks Robin, I really wasn't sure. The maiden that i'm still watching is probably not. The other two were exposed(we think)and would be due in 3 to 4 weeks so that sounds about right. Here's hoping
default_yes.gif
:

I have on who's had several foals......is OPEN....looks like she could drop one any minute! They do get stretched out :bgrin

The BEST one to ask if they are open/cycling is your stallion :aktion033: An experienced stallion rarely lies about these things -- and when near one another, the mare will soon confirm his opinion.
default_yes.gif
:

So it goes for some of the "visual aids" to foaling -- and those darned maidens
default_wacko.png
: just unbelievable.

I'm wishing we could breed so everyone looks svelte and comes with those "pop-out" buttons when they are ready to foal -- like the ones you find on the baking turkey :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back