Question:

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Wonders

Reaction score
I need a little help. Do any of you have fescue grass?? My whole pasture is fescue, and I heard that it does something to the mares milk to make her not have any when she foals. My mustang Lizzy gave birth to a mule last year in May, and it died because the mare had no milk and it didn't get any anti bodies. Now she is due to foal along with my mini......do you have any suggestions???

Most vets will advise you to take your mare off of fescue pasture 60 to 90 days prior to foaling and to provide her with a "dry lot" area to prevent a "red bag" delivery. A dry lot is a field or paddock that doesn't have grass growing in it. You must then feed her hay so she can continue to graze but be sure it does not contain fescue. You may want to consult your local Agriculture Dept. to see who grow hay in your area that does not have fescue grass in it. It's hard to find sometimes so you may have to go to alfalfa which is very good for the mare's milk supply.

Here is a good link for you to learn and study about the effect of fescue pastures and bred mares. If you do a google search, there are many more links that will come up for you that are very informative. Good luck with your new foal.

http://www.arabians-international.com/fescue1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Most vets will advise you to take your mare off of fescue pasture 60 to 90 days prior to foaling and to provide her with a "dry lot" area to prevent a "red bag" delivery. A dry lot is a field or paddock that doesn't have grass growing in it. You must then feed her hay so she can continue to graze but be sure it does not contain fescue. You may want to consult your local Agriculture Dept. to see who grow hay in your area that does not have fescue grass in it. It's hard to find sometimes so you may have to go to alfalfa which is very good for the mare's milk supply.

Here is a good link for you to learn and study about the effect of fescue pastures and bred mares. If you do a google search, there are many more links that will come up for you that are very informative. Good luck with your new foal.

http://www.arabians-international.com/fescue1.html
Hi Marty, I have just one little problem......I have no clue when they are due. Not either of them. My mini gets depressed when she's away from her herd(head mare). Thanks for helping!!

Thank you so much that reading really helped. I think it will be much easier now......(except for putting up another fence.)

Than since you don't I would advise to take them off. Fescue can do alot of damage to the pregnant mare and her baby. Like Marty said red bag deliveries, bags that become too hard for the baby to come out of and has a chance to suffocate if your not there to get the baby out, it does do damage to the mare's milk. Just nothing I would risk.

You might want to ultrasound them and have your vet give you a general idea on when they are due. But I would take them off and just give them some free choice grass, alfalfa or timothy hay. Remeber no fescue.

It can also affect their ability to re-breed while toxins in system, to set the pregnancy (so they re-sorb/re-breed).......AND it can affect the foal inutero......liver damage, dummy type foals, etc., if they are born and survive that portion of the entry to the world.

Domperidone......from the vet. Been there, unfortunately.

Latest posts

Back