Question...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovable minis

Reaction score
HI ALL :saludando:

I have been noticing my bred mare has been acting differently. She is resting more, laying down more, but my question is how early can they have changes with there bags? I have the tendency to rub her bag and clean it and usually she likes it but today was different. She seemed tender and her bag seemed a bit 'puffy'(one side). She has had the 'puffyness' in front of her bag for a while.

Thanks

On average you'll see a change about 4 weeks prior....but that can vary about 2 weeks on either side. Remember, every mare is a little different!

MA

I agree- I have seen as short a time as 2 weeks but usually around 4 to even 6 weeks.

Not to cause a worry, just something to keep in mind in case it gets worse. Barbie is due to foal in April and it is our first time so I have been reading ALOT!
default_wacko.png
: And I read that we are to keep an eye on the bags as they can develop Mastitis and one of the signs is that there is swelling. I am pretty sure there are a few other symptoms that have to be in place as well like it being red too. So if you see any other signs you could read up on Mastitis and if you can catch it early it's a lot less drama for the mare. Good luck.

Oh I thought she was wasn't that far along, I didn't relize that she was close to foaling. I guess this wouldn't apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
She isn't close...Only 219 days today(???)

Can they do this? I was told they can go up and down like this and everything is fine??

Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back