Question regarding Driving/Liberty--Show Related

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minihorsefrnd

Reaction score
I know there are alot of people who drive on here and I need some advice and help from the pros!

:saludando: Hi Everyone! I have three driving horses that I drive at home and at fun shows, but I think I am ready for the ring. My horse is a country pleasure gelding. I have bought the cart and bought the harness and now I need help.

Is there anything special I need to wear other then pants and blazer? Do I have to wear gloves?

Do you have to have a header? Do they have to be registered w/ the registry?

Tell me some of the things you wish you would have known about your first time in the ring.

And I would also like to find out about the Liberty Class. I have watched and love it!! Is there any tricks to the class?

Thanks in advance for all the advice! :saludando:

Last edited by a moderator:
The rules are only slightly different from AMHA to AMHR which one are you planning to attend?

Gloves are an option at both. Headers (different age requirement for A/R) are allowed but only required for youth drivers. Their "attire" is defined in the rulebook.

"Whips "if used must be suitable stlye and tip of lash must not reach past the shoulder of horse" --AMHR. AMHA whips are required to be carried (in hand or in the vehicle) or you're disqualified.

Liberty rules are only slightly different between the two. Each allows 1 1/2 min. to "show". AMHR gives 2 min. to catch while AMHA only allows 1 1/2 min to catch. As for "tricks" to it - the only thing I can advise is that you can count on your horse behaving like most kids .....what works at home will not always work before an audience.

The best idea would be to go on line or contact the assoc. you use and ask for a rulebook.

Good luck - showing is lots of fun!
default_yes.gif
:

I don't drive, so I can't help you with that.

But, liberty is my favorite class. Make sure you can approach and catch your horse everytime. Nothing is more disappointing than have your horse really strut their stuff, then not be able to catch them. I work mine in the round pen, drop the whip when they can see me, go down on one knee and pat my chest and tell them to "come". ALWAYS give them a treat and lots of loving. While you are waiting to go into the class, stuff your horse with the treats. It helps if your gate person can let you know about how much time you have let to catch your horse, cause it seems like time is flying when you are out there. AND..... ALWAYS have your halter in your hand (learned that by experience). Hope this helps.

Hi Denise. Good luck with your new endeavor in showing in the show ring. It can be very exciting and fun!

Altho I have not yet driven in registry shows I like to keep updated by reading the rules and regs. If you can get to the AMHR website and don't have a rule book, go online and check them out. There you can find what they allow and don't allow in the classes for your specialty.

I usually show open and the rules I follow are the CDE rules. I always wear gloves, a nice blazer, top, a heeled boot and a nice black pair of slacks. I do black becuse you can't see the dirt as much as with a light colored pair of trousers. I hold a whip and wear a hat...but in registry shows I understand you don't necessarily have to wear a hat.

I like to get to the show in plenty of time so that I can show my horse around the grounds, and prep and warm up. Gets all the cobwebs out of his head and then he's ready to perform. If you can get out to a show or two before you show, or get there super early and watch a class or two go, then you can get an idea of what they're doing in your area, what the judges are looking for and even ask around at some of the exhibitors....just make sure they're not in the middle of trying to get ready as that can be a nerve wracking moment.

I see you're from TN, there are quite alot of people here on the forum from there, and shows from what I understand. Again good luck and keep us posted on your shows! It's always fun to hear how other forum drivers made out! :saludando:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back