Question on red duns and grullas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promise

Reaction score

Promise

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a picture thread a little while ago on Grullas- if you do a search you should come up with lots of pictures of them. To me he does not look a Grullo- but then this does not mean he couldn't be a Bay Dun, if a parent were Dun- Dun is a simple dominant and Yes, a parent must be Dun to get one.

Red Dun's are, without a doubt, commonly mistaken for Chestnuts. The stallion in my Avatar is Red Dun, and was often mistaken for a Palomino!!

Would a bay dun be able to turn to a creamy grayish base coat? He is 2 now, and regardless of what he is, I believe his coat will continue to change from season to season. At least for the next year or two. His fathers get, from what I have seen posted on the web site for that farm, seems to have alot of palaminos, some creamy greys, of course, I can't find referance pics of the dams of these foals, so that point may be moot.

Is there a test for Dun, or would it be a test for creme?

Thanks,

Promise

There is not a test for Dun as yet, and Yes Bay can appear to be "seasonal" but pictures would help!!!
default_smile.png

I'll have to get some on here tomorrow, he has been hanging out in the rain so he is wet right now. I'll get some picks in the morning, Please check back, I am very curious about this boys potential color producing abilities.

Thanks,

Promise

I love dun factored horses
default_smile.png

Just wanted to throw in two things. Yes, horses (especially minis!) can change color over time and with the seasons. A lot of bay minis can clip out to look almost a sooty buckskin.

And, I sure did not always know this but now that I have a Grullo colt, I do... Grulla is for the girls, and Grullo is for the boys
default_yes.gif
:

Btw, looking at your avatar, your horse is pretty pretty pretty (or is that handsome for boys -- haha!), so any color on him is a good color!

thanks for the compliment. He is a little short in the legs, but he is toning up in the belly, so it kind of evens him out a little.

As far as the clipping thing, His hair on his neck has grown out, he only has a tinge of red with this creamy grey, and mostly only the very very tipsare red, there is definately something going on with his color. Like I said, please look back for pics tomorrow!

Thanks,

Promise

I have been raising Grulla/Dun AQHA for awhile and normally a grulla is born with a beige coat with black mane, tail,legs and dun factor. That said I have a filly that was born a red dun (red as red could be with red dun factor, legs, mane,tail,head) and as she lost her baby coat she coated out as a grulla with black legs,mane,tail etc- of course, as a yearling she started greying out like her dam but she still has the black dun factor althou her mane and tail are graying. Now having said that! :bgrin I had a filly born to my red dun mare by my dark grullo stallion who was born seemingly bay with a distinct black dorsal - when she lost her baby coat she was a gorgeous deep red bay with no apparent dorsal stripe - she grew a fuzzy winter coat and under that coat now she is either black or grullo -as you part her hair it is bay on top , halfway down starts the black or dark grullo - I actually clipped away hair under her mane and it is the same color as her sire - not quite black I will have to figure out how to post pics so you can see what I'm talking about!

brassyfoal052.jpg

This is a pic of Zoey at 1 day old- showing from behind so you can see the dorsal stripe

Brassy052.jpg

You can see Zoey has a whorl with black at the center

IM0005902.jpg

This is a pic of Zoey at 3 months grullo x red dun

Tomorrow I'll try and snap a picture of where I clipped under her mane - I didn't clip to the skin just to where the hair was showing black or grullo

Here is a picture of her sire - he is a dark or lobo grullo - he has a dorsal stripe, leg barring, shoulder stripe and darker head - this really isn't a great picture to show his color so I also included a summer shot from behind - he changes colors also sometimes he is so black it is hard to see his dun factor!

ShadowHead.jpg

ShadowCricket7-4-050162.jpg

He's a little lightweight here in July 05 because of breeding season - very easygoing and calm stallion but not too interested in his food when the ladies are calling!

ShadowatLisaBoon2-11-060072.jpg

okay, pictures are posted on a thread started today. It is maked with the blue triangle and question mark.

Please no flames or sarcastic comments. This is something that a breeder who has been breeding big guys for years said he appears to be.

If he is just a bay, so be it. But I was also told that the dorsal is a primitive dun type marking. A bay can be a bay and not have the dorsal (and barring).

Thanks,

Promise

Latest posts

Back