Question on Listerine

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maple Hollow Farm

Reaction score
I asked about this at one point before but either forgot what to do or didn't read it correctly...when you use listerine, do you just spray it on and leave it undiluted or are you supposed to dilute it or rinse it off afterwards? I have been told that it will burn them since some people use it in a mix for sweating necks, I just want to double check before using it on my horse so that I dont burn him if I do it wrong. Thanks!
default_wacko.png

I have done both. If a horse is really raw with fungus or rainrot then I dilute it so it wont sting. but it does work quicker full strength but I would not put it on raw skin then i would dilute it. some dilute it with witch hazel

We always mix it with baby oil. Adds the moisture to the skin that it needs.

If it is just a dry skin problem, get some fat into the feed and it will solve the problem. There are millions of skin and coat products, that are topical and will help, but I would recommend fixing it nutritionally. There are both supplements and feeds designed to nourish the skin and coat. Look for products that list "omegas", "fatty acids" and just plain high fat. Even a little vegetable oil over the feed will help. You will see a difference within 2 to 4 weeks.

If it is a rainrot, ringworm, lice or mite problem, the Listerine will help, but the others are right, it will sting if the skin is really raw.

Best wishes!
default_smile.png

Listerine mixed with baby oil put into the dock of the tail is great for keeping wood ticks away - also soothes other bug bites - just don't use around eye area or ears.

I mix 50/50 listerine and babyoil and add a couple drops of tea tree oil.

The trainers at the barn I ride at use it all the time
default_smile.png

For those that use it, after you apply you do or don't rinse it off?

Whenever I've used it it was to take care of dandruff in the tail. I washed and rinsed first with Head and Shoulders, then poured some Listerine on while the tail was still wet, undiluted, then rinsed it out as well.

Latest posts

Back