Question for those with small children...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeCFarm

Reaction score
How much do you pay your babysitter? I have a five year old son and I'll be paying someone on Saturday to watch him. I've never paid a babysitter before, and my babysitter days were so long ago, LOL. Anyway, she's a grandmother, not some school girl. I asked her how much she wanted, and she told me to just do whatever I thought was fair. Well, I don't know! Help!

I do think it depends on where you are.

My daughter lives in White Plains NY, she is paying daycare $500 a week for care of a 5 month old.
default_new_shocked.gif
Honest. I told her to buy me a house and I'd come watch him, cause at the end of the month, that's a nice house payment.

My son who lives here, IN pays a sitter on the weekends, he has 2 sons and he pays $5 an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
I paid $7.00/hour for a babysitter to come to my home for sitting two kids on a temporary basis, like for four or five hours. I also compensated her for her gas and provided her snacks or a meal, depending on the time of day. I lost her because she went off to college, darnit. I'd pay $10.00/hour to someone who I could trust with my children. They are older now and don't require intensive attention most of the time, nothing like when there was diapering and bottles. Good childcare is a treasure, and you should pay what you can. Ask her ahead of time. Perhaps she has plenty of money and just wants to help out, or she may be in a position where she NEEDs money...

Stacye

In my area, good luck getting a good, reliable, trustworthy babysitter for any less than $10 an hour and make sure you have "bonus" stuff, like good snacks, cable TV, etc...........those babysitters are also booked pretty far in advance and keep a waitlist for the "big dates".

EDIT TO ADD.......and that is for ONE child. Exect to pay more for each ADDITIONAL child.

Sanny you should just send your kids over here!

Here in SW OK, I am paying my babysitter $75/week to watch my 2 year old daughter. And this is what I paid her to watch my now 5 year old son too. That is only $15/day, but they are regulars.

If I was going to have someone over to watch one of my kids for a whole day on a weekend, I would probably pay them $40-$50, depending on how many hours she would be there. HTH!

I pay $10 for 2 kids. So for 10 hours that's $100 for one day. How many hours, how difficult is the child, is she supplying food or are you, her house or yours. You have to think about all that. I ran a daycare for 3 years and I charged $20 a 1/2 day (minimum 6 hours), $40 for a full day (7am-5:30pm).

Christy

I agree that it depends a little on where you are located and what kind of market there is for sitters. Years ago, before I became a teacher, it was $10 per hour for the first child and $7.50 per hour for the second and third child. (This was for experienced sitters and pre-school teachers.) Included and expected were snacks or meals depending on the length of the job and entertainment like movie rentals and or Playstation/Xbox. If the child is to be at the sitter's home either his food would be provided at drop-off or money left to pay for food (McDonald's). With a child your sons age the sitter would be expected to have activities planned for him to keep him entertained and busy so I would think $10 per hour would be a minimum price to expect to pay with the possibility of $12 per hour a possibility.

Hope my input is helpful.

-Va Lynda Ann

I guess I'm pretty lucky! Beverly is a preschool teacher now, but I met her a few years ago when she worked in the daycare my son attended part time. I took my son over there this morning at 8:30 and picked him up at 3:30. I gave her $40, folded up, and she didn't look at it when I handed it to her. She called me as I was driving home and told me it was way too much money and she would give me the extra money back if I stopped by the daycare/preschool on Monday. My son got to roast hot dogs, do crafts, bake cookies and play with her five year old granddaughter all day. Not bad! I'm pleased and my son had a great time. He wants to go back. Unfortunately, she lives in the next town over, LOL. I think she's a keeper though!

Latest posts

Back