Question for those with large breed dogs....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kareng

Reaction score
We just adopted a Great Pyrenees who will be spayed shortly. While we were at the vet, he suggested tacking her stomach at the same time. I had never heard of this. Anyone had this done before. Pros? Cons? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm not really qualified to offer any advice on this but I do own a large dog (Bullmastiff) and I know many people who have Grt. Pyrenees as well as other large breed dogs.So I will just say that in spite of the common information being that stomach torsion is a real concern I have not yet know even one dog to suffer from it. Because of that I am not sure I would want to undertake a major surgery as a strictly preventative measure.I do however think some blood lines in various breeds and some individual dogs may be more at risk and if my vet suggested it I would certainly discuss with him/her why they believed it was a reasonable option. Basically, I guess what I'm saying is, I would have my doubts about having the procedure done but I try to choose (when I have the choice ;) ) vets I feel I can trust so I would let them explain to me the pros and cons of the procedure.

I would always recommend tacking if possible. Prior to change in diet I had 3 different GSD w/twisted tummies. Each one survived as we caught them in time. But the surgery was very very expensive for all of them and they were tacked after. If you have a female, the vet will do it at the same time they are spayed as they are already " in there "

I asked our vet about gastropexy for our Boxer, Jake, during his bloat experience from eating a pound of beet pulp that turned to a solid seven pounds in his gut. Jake had to have stomach surgery to remove the beet pulp and our vet thought there would be enough scar tissue to keep the stomach in place without the added incisions and sutures. Until Jake, I hadn't personally known of any big dogs who had bloated. Of course the danger of bloat is very real regardless of how many bloated dogs an individual has known, and I can tell you after having gone through the experience that it is very scary to deal with. Once the stomach turns the mortality rate is very high. "A pexy will not prevent bloat, but it will prevent the rotation of the stomach. The increased time that you have to treat a dog with bloat versus a dog with torsion may mean the difference between life and death for your dog." - Karen Leshkivich, DVM

Here's a link to more information:

http://www.twinoaksbh.com/procon.html

I would do it, I lost my bloodhound to a twisted stomach. She was only 6 months old. It is worth it, especially since your dog will be under already for the spay. I wish I had had my girl done.
default_no.gif

I chose not to have the procedure done on my Great Dane, as mentioned before it keeps the stomach from turning but does not prevent bloat. We carefully monitor her eating and activity at all times. She is always fed on a raised surface and is not allowed out to play for at least an hour after she eats. She is not really the romp and play type anyway but we are very careful with her. Her water is also kept at least a foot off the floor as well. It sounds like a lot of work but once it becomes routine you really don't notice the extra caution that is required with large breeds.

I guess it's like most everything else when it comes to our pets...every person must decide for themselves what they feel most comfortable with.

My experience...We have owned several large and giant sized breeds and have never done it, nor have we ever had trouble with bloat. I personally would not have it done as a "routine" procedure.

I would do it.

Our 1st Chow Chow-not even considered a BIG dog had never been spastic or jumped around after he ate or anything.

Well we leave one night to go to school open house and we come back an hour later to him laying , crying, bloated HUGE! We called and said bring him immediately or he will die of the stomach twisting. We took him and he had surgery, they asked us if we wanted him tacked . Yes of course, we didnt want this to happen again! We sat for many hours thru his surgery, crying, praying hard for him to survive (he was 12) it cost $1400 and he lived another 2 1/2 years...

So for us yes it is worth it not to see them suffer like that ...

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

I work at a vet clinic and have only seen 1 torsion in the 5 years I have been there. This happened to a Chow. Saying this we had a lady who owned a Bermese Mountain Dog and had the "tacking" done due to loosing a previous one to a torsion. After a month or so the dog started have bad problems. Sick, throwing up and plain not feeling good. Blood work normal... not know what is wrong. Went in REVERSED the tacking and the dog went on to be 100%. I'm not sure if "preventative" measures are a good thing in this case.

April

Of all the dogs I've personally known through the years (my own/friends/relatives, etc..) I've only known of one that stomach rotated, it was a boxer, she was 12 at the time so surgery wasn't an option because of her declining health.

I guess it would be a personal decision. I didn't even know they did this procedure. Are there any dangers in it other than the normal dangers that go along with any surgery?

Latest posts

Back