Question for those over 45 ladies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxi'sMinis

Reaction score
Do you have that miracle cure for hot flashes? Has anyone had any luck with alternative treatments. I'm desperate but don't want to take HT. It seems like almost everything causes them. Stress, shopping, having an alcoholic beverage even just one. Can't even sleep. HELP!!!!!!!!!

I'm not over 45 but I'll post anyway. Charlene, told me about Remifemin which contains black cohosh and touts that it delivers relief for hot flashes, night sweats, and mood swings. It takes between 4 to 12 weeks before you feel the effects. I didn't read the directions carefully and was only taking on tablet but they recommend one in the morning and one in the evening as well. Good luck! Isn't old age fun?
default_new_shocked.gif

Wal-Mart sells this and probably other drug stores too.

[SIZE=12pt]It's not just for those over 45
default_unsure.png
I'm 39 and am having them pretty often. I don't have any miracle cures, but if one drink triggers one, I'd have a few more and maybe you won't care as much
default_wink.png
[/SIZE]

Oh, I'm sorry, it seems like we all have to go through this eventually. Personally I have noticed that if I stay away from alcohol and caffeine after 4 pm and drink a LOT of water, it does help.

Caffeine and alcohol seem to be triggers. The more water you can drink, the better it seems to be. It doesn't completely stop it but it does help.

Mary

Ah the joys of menopause. I had a complete hysterectomy in June of 07 and was thrown head first into instant body changes. I also refused the hormones and toughed it out. I did try the herbal patch and the tabs but they didn't work well for me so I used what I know best. Reiki and the stones...one in particular "Citrine" is a great stone to help with those night sweats and hot flashes. When you add a cocktail to those feelings you have internal combustion eh? If you're a coffee or Pepsi drinker do cut back. Increase your water and fruit intake..dried fruits are exceptionally great and fill that need to nibble we get. Most of all, if you feel depressed or doggone furious..let it out...you have to suffer and so should those in your life share in that change! You're definitely not alone...it's taken me till this past summer to be done with the symptoms.

I'm 56. I don't know if this works for all people but I eat a grape fruit every morning when I start having flashes and the flashes really calm down alot to almost nothing. I think its the Vitm C that helps. But taking vitm C pills don't seem to help at all, so I stick with the grapefruit. I never have night swets. Also I only have flashes at certain times of the year. Mostly in the late winter and early spring. They last about 3 mins and thats when I start eating the grapefruit.

If that doesn't help you then at least the grapefruit is good for you.
default_smile.png

I've tried all the herbal alternatives too........nothing really worked. I do agree that drinking more water is a good idea.

For me, I've resorted to just toughing it out.

I was just reading about this the other day - they said to cut back on the caffeine and carbohydrates. They also said to take more vitamin B. It's worth a try!

Liz R.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the biggest things I learned that really helped me was. Drink lots of water and if you eat eggs. Ladies organic egss only. The last thing we need at this time in our lives are eggs from chickens who are stuffed full of hormones.

Made a huge difference for me as I love my eggs.

I am 45 but had a complete hysterectomy when I was 36. I smoked heavily then (over a year now smoke free! Whoop!) and the doc advised against me using hormone replacement therapy. I just suffered through it and now have no issues related to it. I would say drink plenty of water get a fan!
default_smile.png

Good luck!

Fran

I turned 59 in July. I had an emergency hsyterectomy 28 years ago when my last son was born and I was 31. But they did leave me my ovaries. Even so I have no idea when I really went through menopause as it never bothered me. I guess I'm very lucky. But my sister who is a year and a half older than me has talked often about taking Black Cohosh for hot flashes.

I just had a thought. I live where it is almost always cold and never really hot and I tend to be cold far more often than I am hot. I wonder if climate can have anything to do with it!

Susan O.

I am SO GLAD to see this thread - I am going through the same thing right now.

I am only 44 ( last month) but, I had to have a partial hysterectomy at age 25 - my ovaries they could leave. The doctor warned me I could go through menopause early.

Anyway, I was never much of a water drinker - but, I drink water constantly now and it does get easier.

It does not take it all away - and I would have never believed it but I was just about ready to try anything. So, far this is the only thing that has helped me get some relief.

Thank God - I had my kids at a young age! He knew my future where I did not!

I found instant relief when I would run cold water over my hands. Cooled me off immediately. Of course, it is not always available but when you are at home you can try it and it does help. In the car in the summer, I put my palms up to the cold air blowing out of the air conditioner vents and it works for me also.

I found instant relief when I would run cold water over my hands. Cooled me off immediately.
Yes! And draping a cool damp washcloth around behind your neck helps too!

the remifemin really helped me (i bought the walmart "equate" brand). Lordy, reading this brings back awful memories! i gave new meaning to the "B" word. gary, bless his heart, just rolled with the punches. i couldn't even stand myself, don't know how on earth he put up with me! :DOH!

Charlene - I know what you mean..my poor hubby..LOL.

Oh - How did I forget the cold water over my face and my neck - and the colt wash clothes? That is one of the best reliefs to help you get though it.

By the way - I am not sure if it is the water doing it or I am just getting a small break. I am going to keep drinking my water just in case though. It sure can't hurt anything.

Sometimes when I have a hot flash my heart feels like it is going to run right out of my chest and also just before, I get this fright and flight thing going on like I feel like I need to escape or run away. It's like a mini panic attack. Any of you ever feel like that. It passes with the hot flash. I suck at drinking water, maybe that is why mine are so bad.

Maxi"s Minis - I know exactly what you are saying and yes I get that feeling sometimes also. It is NOT fun!

I used to be just like you - I could only drink water if I was extremely thirsty.

Now, it is a habit to get me a glass of water and I NEVER thought I would say this but, now water taste good to me.

Yes, the fun of menopause, not. I like you won't take premarin. I totally refuse but I haven't yet sought anything else but in the last 6 months they are getting soo frequent that my daily saying is "I am having a nuclear meltdown" and they aren't much fun. The only good thing I can say about them at the moment is that I am on mare stare so the not being able to sleep at the moment is a plus for me
default_laugh.png

Thankfully I have only had a few really bad ones and they are far apart. Yes, cold water over the hands and wrists helps, plus a few icey splashes on the face and let air dry. I have worn one of those neck scarves that you soak with the beads in them. Can't at all remember what you call them but they even make them for dogs now. I soak it in super cold water and leave it dripping wet and then very loosely tie it around my neck. Even have slept with these on! And then of course, for the really nasty hot flash which gets me darn near hallucinogenic and unable to think or do a thing, I just plain strip naked and my hubby drapes ice cold wet towels all over me. I super heat them quick and he is wonderful about making several trips to rewet the towels! After several dousings I snap out of it! For that one you gotta be home though
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back