Question - Again

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemonrockranch

Reaction score
Hi everybody! Haven't been on in months. Lots of stuff going on here in Illinois. Back many months ago - I know - there were several posts about wash racks and wash rooms in barns. The lousy crew that was putting up our building finally finished. They estimated they would be done by late August, September at the latest. Finished last week!!! Oh well, now we can start our part.

Can anybody remember, or if you have pictures to share, would you post them with wash rack, or wash room shots, please. We are re-figuring how we are putting up stalls and such and my husband changed my mind about the location of the wash room, so now I need help on figuring out how to organize stuff.

Thanks! and hope everybody had a Merry Christmas. Looking forward to the Yew Year and "Lack of Sleep Season" - oops I meant foaling season!

Best Regard

Cheryl

My wash room is on the end of my barn. I have 3 stalls on each side, and at the end is the tack/feed room and across from it is my wash room. I really can't show you a good picture, because in the winter we kinda use it for storage
no.gif

Hope this helps.

Pam

Pam,

What do you use on the walls? We were thinking of making the walls metal. I want to put racks for the shampoos and stuff along the walls within easy reach. What kind of arrangement do you have to tie your horse while you are washing? Do you use that area for clipping also?

Cheryl

I am not a northern person, so I cannot help you out on idea's, but I will post pic's later of our barn and washracks... I would think metal would have to be some kind of aluminum so as not to rust, but it sure would keep them from chewing on the wall huh>?

I use cross ties for my minis and big horses, I find it's personally the easiest and the safest, unless I have a really nervous horse. In which case I either have another hand help and hold them, or tie them very close to the wall to prevent injury from flailing about.

We have "cubbys" in our wash rack for storage, though ours are made out of wood, and they work great for easy access, plus as it's built in, they can't knock it down!

I use my aisle cross ties for clipping, as my wash rack is an "open" one, and not comfy to clip in or safe, but I bet a enclosed one would work just fine for that purpose! Good luck and I hope this helps a bit...

For the walls, there is a material available at the lumberyard that is similar to formica but much better for walls. It is called FRP. It is a plastic and I don't now exactly how it is made but we had it on the walls in our restaurant and even oven cleaner didn't hurt it. It is easy to clean and sterilize but only comes in white. It is about the same price as formica but comes in 4 x 8 sheets.

Mary

Latest posts

Back