Question about purchasing a horse.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Karen~

Reaction score
I know it has been a while since I have last visited. I think about you all often, but my preschool occupies my work hours almost completely, and I don't have a computer at home. I hope everyone is doing well.

We have gotten settled in quite well on our property since moving there and I am excitedly waiting for warm weather to come and stay so I can actually enjoy being outside and having longer daylight hours! I'm sure you all know what I am talking about.

Our daughter Shawntay (8 in May) is wanting to learn to ride for barrels and poles, so are looking seriously for a good barrel/pole horse that is a good "teacher" for a beginner (she will begin taking lessons this mid spring) Our son, he just says he "Wants to be a cowboy." LOL He is so cute! I am thinking that he will evolve into wanting to learn team penning and calf roping when he gets older.

The question is here though:

I wasn't really searching for me a horse until we get our daughter set up since what she needs I am sure we will be paying a good bit for, but I keep a watch in the papers for her horse/pony and I came across a 6 yr. old black and white paint QH (unreg.) mare listed for $300. I figured there was probably issues with this horse for this price, but wanted to call anyways. I talked with the man and she seemed like a dream horse. He trained her to pull a wagon and said she learns very easily and is eager to please. I asked about road riding and he said that he lives on a very busy gravel road and even the dump trucks and road graders don't phase her. He also said that she is this way when anyone gets on her, not just with him. Well, the good list goes on. and to include parades.

The problem lies here though....

A gelding and mare was playing and running in the pasture and she jumped over a piece of farm equipment but she didn't completely clear the piece, which caused damage to 2 tendons in the rear (one tendon isn't a major tendon, but the other was.) He said that the equine vet that he uses took care of her and told him that she should heal up well. So, doing my homework, I called the vet the man uses (who is strictly an equine vet) and talked to her. She remembered the horse coming in just over a year ago. She knows the owner very well and said that he is an honest trustworthy man and that I can be confident in anything he says to be true. She also said that the horse came to her in pain and there was the beginning of infection and there was debris in the wound and all the doctoring to the horse that she did, the horse was very cooperative and very well manored. She also said that there is no way of telling about scarring, that is the concern. If too much scarring, then she may have to be put down, but only time can tell with that. But she felt that with the improvments and her age that she should be ok. She also said that artheritis will probably set up eventually and some asperin would help that. She said that the horse shouldn't be used for high athletic purposes like barrels and such, but I explained that I was looking to get her as a beginner training horse for my children to learn the basics on, and for trail riding and for when company came over wanting to ride. She said as long as it wasn't the endurance type trail rides that lasts for several days, she should do just fine. The vet said that the type horse I am looking for is hard to find unless the horse is quite old and that she felt $300 would be a good buy for this horse. The horse has completely healed to the point that she has been rideable and has been riden easily for the past 3 months with no problem.

What I want to ask is this: I have never had to deal with a horse who's had tendon damage nor do I recall ever knowing anyone sho has had a horse with that to happen. I would like to get some feedback about what you think, would you steer clear or would you consider it? Maybe you have some helpful information that would help us on our decission. And if we were to get her, what possible effects could we possibly face later in her years that isn't already mentioned, or could there become special problems that would make caring for her quite expensive or difficult? Or any other information you could possible think of to share.

This is difficult, because I feel like I have already fallen in love with her and I haven't even seen her yet. To top it off, the vet said she is a very beautiful horse.

Hi! My reply is probably completely moot since I don't have any advice on the tendon issue, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents. My first horse was a Quarter Horse who was 23 or 24 when he was given to me. He had the start of arthritis in his back legs, so he couldn't be ridden when it was cold. He was GREAT when the weather was nice and he LOVED being on the trails. I was lucky enough to have him in my life for 5 incredible years before the arthritis became more than both of us could bear. I wouldn't have passed him up at the time because he was my first horse, and knowing how wonderful those years were, I would have PAID to get him. He wasn't with me long, but I fell in love with him and we made the best of the time we had. If you have the facilities for her, and the money to care for her, and the time to devote to her, why not bring her home. She could live and love for many, many years to come. Life is too short to NOT have what you want! Good luck with whatever you choose
default_yes.gif

It could be that money is not a huge issue as much as a good home for her. We kept a gelding that was a rescue for a year and got him healthy. He had leg issues from being tangled in a fence as a colt...big ole baby...his tendons had been torn up and it did bother him some in the cold weather but supplements helped. I gave him to some folks for there son to ride. They put him through training and he is a happy and healthy big boy that takes his master trail riding...I would say go for it.

I think you should go meet this horse. You will know once you are there if she is the one. Good luck!

It always seems like we find the perfect horse for ourselves when we are looking for the perfect horse for someone else.

Hey Karen! Hi!
default_aktion033.gif

First of all Shawntay has to learn basics and plenty of them before any attempts at barell racing. This takes a lot of time. No good instructor will by pass that and go straight to barrels with a student.

As for this horse: I know what it's like for your kids to worship a horse that just doesn't cut it after a while; when they are told, sorry, he's not doing too good today or he's had enough for one day or that's not good for him to do. These are chances that you take with a horse that is either way older or has suffered injuries in the past that may or may not flare up. You just don't know.

If you said this would be a horse just for some very light hacking about then maybe......but you didn't. You said her goal was to barrel race this horse and knowing little kids they are going to want to ask more and more of their horse eventually and that is where I see the problems coming into play. Just how hard can an 8 year old ride a horse? Plenty hard for some. And a horse with these kinds of old injuries just might come back to haunt you especially going through the riggers of tight turns etc.

Now, on the other hand, the way I would consider this is IF this were to be a horse ONLY for them to learn their basics on and keep him for very light riding only. No cowboying ruff stuff or barrel stuff. Then we'd strike up a deal possibly because quiet horses for kids are worth their weight in gold, IF the horse were to be X rayed and pass a pre purchase vet exam stating that all is well. But all in all, I would suggest that you wait until your daughter has had plenty of lessons as scheduled in the spring time on many different mounts at the training stable until her instructor feels she is ready for her own horse.

I agree with Marty-- if this horse were to be perhaps a "starter horse" for the kids to learn to ride on, but not worked too hard, and also used for your pleasure-riding horse, she could be perfect for you. I would get a vet-check done, just to be sure. Go see her!
default_smile.png

Hi Marty!
default_saludando.gif

Thank you all for your thoughtful insights! I appreciate them very much.

As for this horse, I am speaking of her to be my horse, not my childrens, but supposing that she has the calmness about her as I am thinking, I feel she would be ideal for my children to learn the basics of riding on. I would not use her for athletics, only the pleasure of easy trail and wagon, sorry for the misunderstanding there. She would not be one I am considering barrel/pole training with.

As far as a vet check, I was comfortable with the report from the vet he uses when I spoke with her yesterday. Even though it wasn't written, she has been the one to treat this horse consistantly and I got a comfortable report from her. I just don't like the part where she said that it is the scarring tissue that will determine the horses future, even to the point of euthanizing and that can't be determined, only time, and it can be a very gradual thing. I can't help but think that there must be something I could do to help prevent any more than necessary scarring tissue if I were to buy her.

**Question: Is it normal for the damaged area (knee area in her case) to appear a little swollen but not have any fever in it and that be considered normal for a 1 yr. old injury? The injury happened Dec. 2006. (She has only been very lightly riden and has not been lunged or hooked to a wagon or sled since the injury. The owner is being very careful to not reinjure her.) But that area is just a little bigger, as though there was a small amount of swelling. She walked out fine as I watched her, if that statement matters any.

My husband and I went out to see her this morning! She has such personality and LOVES sweet potatoes! It was funny to see her stretch her nose out and kiss me on the face just begging for a sweet potatoe. She doesn't seem to have a mean bone in her body at all. I do, however see her to be one to always be under foot and constantly checking pockets for a treat though. I must say, she is about the biggest Quarter Horse I ever saw though! She came from registered stock history, but she isn't registered, so I know she is pure bred, but she stands taller than my Fox Trotter ever did (the one in my avitar). This mare is at least 15 hands, and I'd venture to say that she is more like 15.5.

Her injury is noticable, but she is moving well. There wasn't any riding or hitching this morning as it just haaad to rain (the rain stopped just after we left.) So I will be going back out this Sat.

I must say, she is all that the man has told me. It is hard to reserve myself for a possible decission not to get her. She has been well cared for and has been raised with a good, well cared for life that has been full of attention and training. I love the fact that she really seemed to take right up to my husband as he is leary around horses and he was very very comfortable around this one, and I could tell that he really liked her. I would be ok with the fact that she could turn out to be his horse
default_wink.png
.... should we get her.

Last edited by a moderator:
You sound in love
default_wub.png
! I have seen horses with old injuries that stay swollen. Btw, I could be wrong, I wasn't really raised with horses, but I don't think a horse would be 15.5 - cuz hands are measured by 4 inches, but maybe I misunderstood or maybe that was a typo?

Can't wait to see pictures of this horse if you do bring her home! If you do I would put her on an arthritis supplement or something else vet recommended right away.

And, see if you can get the guy to come down on the price at all. Obviously that's pretty cheap but I still think it'd be worth a shot because there really are some unknowns about her future "usability".

I'm not one to know much about horses, but it was simply a typo. The .5 should read .2 for the half hand instead. Her height is only a guestimation, so in all reality, I don't know true height until I measure her.

I would love to share pictures if I bring her home. :)

I was going to offer $200 but I could tell in talking that the man would keep her before he came down on the price, so I backed out of making an offer.

$300 is pretty darn cheap for a horse with what sounds like a lot of quality. Marty hit on my concerns pretty well - if your kids really take to riding, they will outgrow this mare's abilities faster than you think.
default_smile.png

If I were in your position, I'd probably have a prepurchase done (which could cost you as much as the mare), get some xrays of the injured leg and a vets current assessment. You will be better informed to make a decision. An important consideration is whether you are prepared to care for her, possibly for many years, if and when she is no longer sound.

We bought a 6 or 7 year old paint mare who had gotten in a wreck with a front end loader - so I was told - as a yearling. Her left front is very scarred and thickened permanently, you can see under her belly where they took skin grafts to put the leg back together. We did have a prepurchase, and in this case the injury did not affect the joint so he gave her a relatively clean bill of health on that issue. He said there will be some arthritis as she ages, but nothing to be overly concerned about. She is now 11 and has remained sound on the leg. She was ridden pretty good and shown for a few years while my daughter was still home, is now "retired" and had a foal last year. My point is just that she has a very nasty looking scar from a terrible accident, and has stayed sound on it.

Jan

Karen, go back out there with your camera and take a good video of her moving about in all gaits and upload it for us

My father in law had a lovely grade mare several years ago that had a quite large bony bump on one of her lower legs from a previous injury. It held no heat, and didn't hurt her to touch or press, and she moved with no lameness, even at a gallop. It was just scar tissue, and didn't affect her at all.

If I were you, and looking for a good horse for mild use, I'd be snapping her up!
default_biggrin.png
JMHO

Oh, Marty. I sure wish I could do that. I don't have a digi video camera, and my digi camera that had short digi videos blitzed out on me a while back ago. I just have a plain camera now.

I am having an experienced person go out with me Sat. if the weather is permitting and if he is able to.

I really enjoy reading the experiences you all have had. It sounds hopeful for this gal, and I am feeling a bit more comfortable.

I will ask the owner about X-Rays. I feel pretty confident that some were probably taken. This man is a very responsible horse owner, even to the point of paying extra for the best horse vet care in our area.

Latest posts

Back