Question about my silver filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlenehorse

Reaction score
I have a 2006 silver filly that was born 5-30-06. When I clipped her she was silver. Her dam is a silver dapple with huge dapples and her sire is a silver sorrel.

My question is will she develope her dapples later or is she going to be just a silver.

Thanks Carlene

Belle2.jpg

Belle1.jpg

girls.jpg

I have a 2006 silver filly that was born 5-30-06. When I clipped her she was silver. Her dam is a silver dapple with huge dapples and her sire is a silver sorrel.

My question is will she develope her dapples later or is she going to be just a silver.

Thanks Carlene

Belle2.jpg

Belle1.jpg

girls.jpg

She'll most likely develop some dapples soon. All of the Silver Dapples I've had, started out just silver at first (when clipped)...then developed dapples by the time they were a few months old. Some may take longer than others, and some may not dapple at all. Even if she does dapple...she may not keep them after she matures. They seem to be continually changing. They will also change with the seasons....dapples usually being more brilliant at certain times of the year.
default_yes.gif
:

Possibly, possibly not.

That is why I preferr Silver Black as a description.

I have a filly at the moment who is dappled but in all probability will lose her dapples as her father did.

Another colt by the same horse was born Silver Black and stayed Sliver Black (no Dapples)

I believe the dapples are a modifier, just like Sooty, and have nothing to do with the colour/dilute.

One of my yearlings looks very similar to yours. I've had several silver dapple babies that were born much darker than this filly but that mother was definitely a silver dapple (large dapples and almost blonde mane and tail). The dam of this particular filly is what I call a chocolate silver (I'm not sure if that is the correct term) - definitely no dapples and the mane and tail are darker than my silver dapple mare. This filly is over a year old now and I have clipped her before so I know there aren't any dapples hiding. She has darkened up a little from when she was first born but her color is different than my other two "silver dapple" foals. I think she will continue to darken as she gets older. Her sire is a sorrel pinto and she is a very minimally marked pinto but very hard to see.

kareng

"Chocolate Silver"

taffy-new-2.jpg

Above filly as weanling with dam

taffy_2.JPG

"Silver Dapple" Half sister to above filly

peper-new-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Karen I would call your filly, and the one questioned a pale Silver Black- she does not look Chocolate (not even Milk Chocolate!!) to me.

I think it is better to keep the colour descriptions of the less definite colours as simple as possible- thus- Silver Black, Silver Black (Dapple) Silver Bay etc.

If we start using descriptive terms like "Chocolate" we then start hitting "grey" (pun intended) areas with animals like these two, when "Chocolate" obviously does not describe their colour.

My mare I used to have was just that color as a foal.... It's really hard to tell though. She may or may not. My girl turned white and only had dapples on her butt lol. You just never know with these guys!!

Your filly looks a lot like my colt, he's also born in the same month as your filly. When he was just clipped he looked like this,

silverado1.jpg

For the moment, he has already more dapples and I really hope he will get very dark when he grows up. Now we are a few months further, this picture is taken a few days ago.

IMG_5484a.jpg

I also have a 2-yaer old silver appaloosa mare, when she was born, she had a total different silvercolor,

nikita.jpg

And this is her now,

nikita.jpg

It's amazing how they can change colors, and because she is also a appaloosa, she gets more spots every year. My colt is also appaloosa, so who knows how he will look like in a couple of years! Thats the fun thing about it!
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back