Question about headstall/bit?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesFamily

Reaction score
Hello!

I finally bought a cart and we put Toy to the cart today for the first time. He did great!

My question is, since we have been waiting for so long for a cart, we have done a lot of ground driving, and he was doing great with the bit, but now he has started flipping his tongue over the bit. I've checked the fit and I did tighten the headstall one notch. I'm using a half-cheek snaffle and we're at "one wrinkle."

He'll be going along fine, then get his tongue over the bit and he's so distracted he can't focus on what he's doing. I've driven and ridden a lot of horses before, and never had this problem. Any suggestions? My harness did not come with a cavesson. Would that help?

Thanks!

Barbara

Usually when a horse starts trying to get his tongue over the bit there is a reason and I hate to shut his mouth with a noseband until I have checked out every other possibility. Has he had his teeth checked lately? It sounds like he is trying to relieve pressure. Perhaps you are taking more of a hold on him now that he is in the cart? I have found that broken snaffles tend to squash their tongues. I would try other bits on him and see if you can find one he is comfortable in such as a mullen mouth, french link, low port, etc. As far as fitting the bit "one wrinkle" is not the best indicator as to whether it is comfortable for him or not - you could try raising it further.

I agree with Lori, but will add that the bit adjustment is very dependent on conformation. I have a mini that if I adjust the bit with one lip wrinkle, it is sitting on his teeth!
default_new_shocked.gif
You may have to play around with it a little, too. We have had horses that have gone along fine in one particular bit for years, and all of a sudden will start "messing" with the bit. Jeff Morse (carriage driving trainer) says that horses express anxiety in their mouths, so it doesn't really surprise me that it is happening now that you have him put to the cart. You have probably changed his "comfort zone".

If you have eliminated all other possiblities, like Lori said with teeth and using a bit that provides more tongue relief, then yes, a caveson would help. Actually, well-made driving bridles use the caveson and loops to help hold the blinders close to the head so that the cheeks don't gap and allow the horse to see behind him.

Myrna

Thank you both! I've stuck a finger back there, and can't feel where the bit would be hitting any teeth. He is up to date on his teeth, but will definitely have the vet check him with the bridle on and see what she thinks.

I thought about a different bit - I just wish there was a lending library for bits!
default_wink.png
So I could borrow one, try it out and see how it worked before committing! Otherwise I'm going to have a whole collection of unused bits!

Myrna - I also liked your suggestion about anxiety. Even though he was very relaxed while in the cart, it was a huge change for him. I'm going to step it back a little, do some more line driving and long lining and see if he relaxes again with his mouth. If not, I guess I'll start ordering some new bits to try!

Thanks for your help!

Barbara

Back