Question about feeding rescue

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had a few rescue horses that were underfed but I have one now that was also dehydrated. I've had her for 3 days. She is eating, drinking, and finallly pooping. My question: she seems a little unsteady. I'm wondering if it is muscle loss or could it be from the dehydration? If so, what is the best way to treat the situation? I've thought of electrolyte in the drinking water but I'm afraid to risk her not drinking if the taste is strange. Would a shot of vit B be useful?

I've had to be careful what I do, as the sheriff was supposed to come out and take pictures. But he hasnt' shown up yet so I'm going to begin serious care. How long should I wait to worm? Can she tolerate a bath? What about sand clear? I know she was on a bare dirt pen.

She is eating free alfalfa and has grass hay also. A little grain yesterday. Today I have put her in a spot where she can graze and she did some running and tail flagging==yay!

I think you are on the right track with electrloytes in the water. I would put up two buckets for her, one with and one without the electrolytes. That way you don't put her off of her water. Another thing you could do is get loose mineral salts and put them in a bucket for her, separate from her feed. I would hold off on the sand clear until she's lost the unsteady look, but you could put flax in her grain as she startsto eat more and more. The hulls act as a natural way to clear the sand from the system and it doesn't stress them as much. Your vet will be the best one to tell you about the B shot. Personally, I'd have him do a blood panel and find out exactly what she needs. Also, a fecal egg count wouldn't be out of order. You could then see how dire the parasite situation is for her.

SInce the sherriff hasn't been by to get photos, I would suggest that you take a few for your records. It sounds like there may be a court case in the making here and after that poor colt that we all worried about last year here on the forum who almost ended up sent back to his abuser, better safe than sorry.

We did take pictures the first day. I also recorded an affadvit with the sheriff. We are thinking the reason he hasn't come out to take pictures is because the people who had her may have dropped the whole thing; their dogs were impounded the next day for abuse.

I will do the sand test today. I was thinking the panacur worm schedule would be best to do on her. She might have bots, which will require the invermectin. I have a good flax supplement that I could give her. Just wasn't sure how many things to throw at her at once.

I'll try the extra bucket with electroylte. She does have a mineral salt block, but I'm out of loose and am waiting for a new shipment.

The saddest part is I know this horse. She was sort of rescued once before 2 years ago. You can never tell what will happen to a hrose when he moves on. Last time I saw her she was fat and sassy and learning to work in harness.

Thanks for the ideas.

Your instincts are right in not 'throwing too much' at her too fast.

When doing the sand check, be sure that the manure balls you pick up have NOT touched the ground, as dirt will have adhered to it and may give a 'false' reading. Pick up nice fresh manure off the top of a manure pile; a couple of 'balls' will suffice.

Wish you had access to the feed I am using, "Thrive". It is available in several TX locations, some may be close to the OK/TX border? It has a GREAT track record in feeding to malnourished/starved rescue horses; read for yourself on the website...just google 'Thrive horse feed' or words to that effect. I am loving it, but may not be able to continue to use it, just because it is SO far for me to drive to obtain some...hoping the creator can get it into TSC's, which would at least be a lot closer to me(we don't have but two TSC's in NM; both are on the eastern side of the state, well over 100 miles from me...sure wish they'd 'move on in' to NM!)

Good for you to take her in!

Margo

Last edited by a moderator:
The best feed we have found over the years to put weight on a starving horse is Purina Equine Senior! It works wonders on under weight horses! Start her out slow, about 2 cups twice a day with your alfalfa hay! Once she's eating good, up her feed to 4 cups twice a day and plenty of hay to go with it! You'll see a tremendous change in her body and muscles in about a month! We've used this many many times over the years and it works!

Bill

Thanks for all the advice.

Haven't been able to do the sand test yet as I have no fresh piles. I cleaned up this morning without thinking about saving any and she hasnt' delivered since. Good idea about taking the sample from the top.

She's drunk at least 1 gallon so far today; surely I'll get a sample soon.

I'm going to stick with the alfalfa, with grass hay available, for a few more days.

Another call into the sheriff; when are you coming for pictures??? I only get the dispatcher who takes the message.

An appointment on Tuesday for hooves; we'll just save the pieces cut off if we haven't heard from the sheriff by then, and take more pictures. Ordered the panacur power pack from the vet.

She is extrememly sociable and affectionate. Follows me around and tries to get as close as possible.

Marsha,

You can always get electrolytes in paste form. And I ditto Bill regarding feeding Senior Grain. We've had great success with it as well.

Ma---

Totally disagree on Purina Sr. Its peanut hulls and junk. last bag I bought you could actually see the peanut hulls in it and I personally won't use it. it only has 3.5 - 4% fat and if you want weight on a horse you need more fat to do that.

Alfalfa hay and what your current plans are will do more for her than Purina Sr.

Good Article.

http://www.starvinghorses.com/Refeedingsyndrome.html

Karen

I agree stick with the free choice Alfalfa hay and grass hay for now. Also agree with electrolyte paste. It is easy to give and also will increase her water intake to help prevent colic. Panacur is also a good choice for worming a starved horse as a 1st regimine. Sounds like you have a good grasp on the situation. God bless you for helping her
default_aktion033.gif
default_wub.png
default_aktion033.gif

I would also treat her for ulcers- I can almost promise you she has them from stress of being starved.

Thank You
default_aktion033.gif
for helping her, I am learing as i go & only have rescues. I am only speeking from what i have done. I didn't do everything right away... even though you want to jump on everything and address it, Depending on how under weight she is, I used purina 300 for a very under weight mini mare, gave her free range hay, wormed & sand out her in the 1 week, Farrier took care of her as soon as she was delivered, She bounced back and looked like a different mini in 2 months, she start to change after the 1st week... When they get nothing & then they get proper care & food it makes a world of difference, I am on my 6 week with 2 new rescues mare and a 2 month old foal at her side, Mare was down to bones the foal was not so bad but a little under weight.. I was told the foal was pulling her down, not true yes it was draining her when she was not being feed.. 6 weeks later, on her amount of mare & foal and you would never know she was so under wieght 6 weeks ago and she still has her foal at her side, I did have to limit her hay, she was just none stop eating it and started to get a bloated hay belly, She is free to graze 24/7 on our half dead/dry grass. I all so keep a mineral blocks for them to share, one of the salt mineral block ( red color @ about 5.00 ) and then I use a Mineral Block purina 12-12 supplement block it is 30.00 4 mini's it will last for a long time

I would love to see pic's I am amazed at rescue before & after and in just a short time. Thank You for giving her the LOVE & CARE she needs

default_yes.gif
she will LOVE you back

I checked for sand and there was none in the bottom of the bag. I'll do it again today.

She is a lot more fiesty now, trotting around the corral and enjoying some rolls. They are normal dust-bath rolls, not due to any discomfort.

Marsha you are doing fine. The unsteadiness can also be heat related. You've had those temps way over 100 degrees so that is a contributing factor. Keep her cool. I would not be forcing electrolytes but you can put them in a separate water bucket so she has a choice.

You're a treasure.

How is she doing now Marsha?

All the rescues that I have had have done best on alfalfa and the recommended ammounts of a good quality feed. Right now all my horses are on Nutrena SafeChoice and they are looking better every day. I like the high protein/fat content of that feed compared to the starch levels in it. And it is very consistent.

Oh and Atwoods in Altus has the electrolyte paste in the lockbox in the back with the wormer. Just have to ask someone to get it open for you.
default_wink.png

She is getting fiestier. Trimmer coming today. I went to the sheriff's yesterday to ask when/if they were coming to take pictures. I informed them the trimmer was coming and I was having her hooves done, whether he had a picture or not. I think the legal hoopla turned into nothing, but she'll stay here until it's officially dead.

Ordered a fly mask for her; her eyes are sort of runny and crusty. I'm using Dapper Dan's eye drops on her and sponging her face. She's starting to protest--good sign!

I'm supplementing with timothy pellets, soaked. A little salt on them and she loves it. She's begun to take an interest in the grass hay.

I'm a little nervous. Just learned the case was turned in to the district attorney. Never involved in a legal aspect of rescue before. If I need to make up a bill for costs, how would I do that? I've just been using my own supplies and don't know how to calculate that for a boarded horse. I'm only thinking of presenting a bill if the law goes against her or if I have to prove that I've boarded her.

Who would pay the bill? The County? The folks bringing the suit? The plaintiff?

She got her feet trimmed and I actually let her go out with Dapper Dan today for a few hours to roam and stretch. She's looking much better. No longer dehydrated, that I can tell, and her eyes are clearing up. She flirted a little with Dapper Dan, which totally confused him, poor guy.

Back