Question about colors

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuGGler_j0e

Reaction score
I guess this is kind of NMHR: Could someone please explain to me the difference between a Paint, Appaloosa, Pinto, Piebald, Skewbald, Tri Colored and Odd Colored? And why some of them are considered breeds, and others just considered colors.

This would really help me out when it comes to identifying horses!
yes.gif
Thank you so much!

I'm not an expert! But, I do know the difference between "Paint" and "Pinto" is that Paint is a breed, pinto is a color. Paints are pinto colored, but not all pintos are paints.

Skewbald is any colour except black, and white, Piebald is Black and White. I preferr Pinto or, better still the base colour and white- ie Palomino and White. I NEVER trust anyone to get the pattern right
smile.gif
So, Tri coloured would be Bay and White, Dun and White or Buckskin and white- it could also be Roan and white with a small bit of imagination. Appaloosa is a breed- and should not really, IMO, be used to describe a pattern. Over here appies are called Spotted. (Which, unfortunately, is the correct way to describe broken coloured!! Genetically) Odd coloured is any colour they can't think of a way of describing, or Green.
biggrin.gif

a pinto is a horse of ANY breed with pinto markings.. a paint is a reg T/B or QH

I recommend that you visit this site and read what information they provide.

I believe that it will answer most of your questions.

http://www.equinecolor.com/

There are also several excellent books written and published about equine colors and color patters

JJay

Yep, that is a great website to get descriptions of pretty much any color and pattern and the genetic background behind it. Paint and pinto are terms that are old and were always interchangeable until the Paint Horse Association decided that they wanted the term paint to describe their type of horse exclusively. There is, however, also a Paint Pony Association that's been around for a while. Personally, I don't care if you want to call any pinto horse a paint, but a lot of people do care.

Back