Question about chickies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The laying box sticking outside is a matter of convenience -- speaking as one whose run is rather inconvenient, the easy access box is a very nice feature. With our girls, every time we go in the run, 3 or 4 want to run out. Not that difficult now, but it won't be so easy when I'm collecting eggs. We only have a couple of weeks before we can expect the first eggs, so we'd better get working on our improvements!

This is the first time we've had a nest box accessed from outside. OUr others were inside. My husband just decided to do a different design this time. It isn't a problem having the nest boxes inside at all.

I'll ask him how many sq feet ours is; I am mathematically challenged... We are planning to have maybe 10 hens at the most. I think 10X10 sounds fine! Don't plan to have a rooster. If a hen gets broody I will have to find some fertile eggs for her to sit upon.

This is the 3rd chicken house--too many moves! Our last one was a gorgeous adobe one that Jim hand built. We sure hated to leave that one.

Latest posts

Back