Question about castration

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lamindica

Reaction score
What does it mean when a jack is "proud cut"? I had a jack gelded and the vet said that he wasn't proud cut. He still gets erections and even tried to mount our jennet. I hope he's fixed! That jennet is his mother.

What does this mean?

A stallion/jack is "proud cut" when the vet has not gotten all he was supposed to get during the gelding process. Sometimes, a gland is left which renders them, not completely gelded. It sounds like you are finding out about donkeys having "recreational sex"! Geldings often will do this and sometimes, the jennies almost force them to do so. At our place we have no intact jacks but when the jennies are in season they will respond to our mini stallions by opening their mouths, sticking out their tongues and/or mounting each other. We do have a gelded jack who also mounts our mini mares when they are in season. In all, I hear from the "donkey experts" that this is all "normal" donkey behavior!

His attitudes/actions might be caused by a recent gelding, also. I hope the vet had you keep him away from his mother for a few months after the gelding because they can still be fertile for a while.

I hope this helps calm you...

StarWish/Colleen

He was gelded over a year ago. I have seen him display this behavior with other jacks, as well as allowing himself to be mounted by a jack, but I have not seen attempt to mount a jennet before.

The vet said that he was not proud cut. I remember that he held up a gland and said that. I thought that meant that he wouldn not have erections, but i'm wrong! We did watch him get cut, though.

Thanks!

Animals mounting eachother is usually a display of dominance. This is seen in all sorts of animals but I would guess people see it most often in dogs and pass it off as their animals "being gross" when really they are showing dominant behavior.

The term proud cut can mean anything from cryptorchid to a horse that is studdy. When an animal is gelded (horses included) if you dont' completely strip the vas deferens and get everything out of that entire area then there's a chance that you have not completely removed all of the testicle. Even if small amounts (like pea/dime sized) are left these will produce enough testosterone to potentially give you problems later in life.

Getting an animal castrated will in NO way affect their errections. Errections are caused by massive amounts of blood flowing into the penis. Gelding is either cutting out the vas deferens and the testicles or crushing them. This in no way interferes with with blood flow into the penis, thus should not interfere with errections. Errections and the testicles are obviously related but have nothing to do with eachother when it comes to gelding.

Hope I was helpful!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back