Question about breeding stallions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orkie

Reaction score
Is it common for mini stallions to shoot blanks? I have heard this from some breeders, but never really sat down and thought about it.

No. If there is sperm being made, it should come out. A stallion shouldn't have sperm one day and nothing the next unless he has some serious problems.

That would not be common and not good. The quality of the semen sample can depend on the experience of the person doing the collection though. If you think there is a problem don't make any drastic decisions without evaluating a second collection.

Charlotte

If by "shooting blanks" you mean the semen is non-fertile, that can happen with aged stallions, or with stallions who have a medical problem. Semen should be expelled, regardless though.

This stallion is 8 or 9 years old now. He was purchased last sept. Never had a foal on the ground by him. We bred him to 4 mares MAYBE 1 out of the 4 is bred. The other 3 did not get bred. He is very healthy.

He can be healthy & still have a medical problem causing him to be infertile. I would have his semen tested.

If you are going to be a breeder, you need to have your stallion checked if he is not able to settle ANY mares. When you said he was 8-9 yrs old and had not settled a mare, does that mean he has NEVER settled a mare? If he is settling one out of four then there is a likelihood of just not catching those other mares. We hand breed our stallion and then have the mares checked on day 16, by ultrasound. If they are not in foal we take them back to the stallion.

If I had a stallion that was not able to settle any of my mares. I would have him collected to make sure that he has viable sperm, and to check the count. If he checks out ok, then turn to your mares. If they are healthy. Then reasses your breeding practices.

Then reasses your breeding practices.
I agree with this statement! I had a client purchase a young stallion from me. Took him home to breed mares as a 3 yr old. She brought him back the next year saying he didn't settle any of her mares. I took him and put him with 8 mares. 6 mares settled with no problem. The 7th mare just had a logistics problem (stallion was not very well endowed and couldn't penetrate as needed). Not sure on the 8th. But, the stallion did not have a breeding problem!

Weight, nutrition and environmental factors come into play besides medical issues. I would look into all before discounting a stallion as a non breeder.

If by "shooting blanks" you mean the semen is non-fertile, that can happen with aged stallions, or with stallions who have a medical problem.
OR they may simply be infertile... and yes, "shooting blanks" ... as was the case with the famous thoroughbred Cigar. A champion on the track - syndicated for $$$$$$$$$$$$... and then a complete dud as a stud.

So now he greets fans at the Kentucky Horse Park...
default_yes.gif
:

In the case of Cigar, gee, wasnt that from all the steroids he was getting?

In the case of Cigar, NO it wasn't from the steroids he was getting.

Explicity in a breeding insurance contract (which yes he was insured for breeding, and is now OWNED by the Insurance Company because they had to pay out 25 million I think), it states cannot be sterile due to human interaction or something.

Cigar went to about 10 vet clinics and hospitals, and through numerous tests in order for the owners to be able to collect on insurance money.

We hand breed all our mares and have no stallions of that age that have not settled their mares, alot of people pasture breed their mares and that sometimes has alot to do with the results, I would have the stallion checked for his sperm count if you are hand breeding your mares and make sure your mares are in breeding condition also. Also we do not breed using the stallion everday, we rotate days.

I have a close friend locally that she does have a lab and breeding facility that does artificial breeding and sells cooled/frozen semen overseas and in the USA, very sharp girl when it comes to breeding particulars.

It's not just the number of sperm produced, it's also the "motility." In other words, you need to know if his "guys can swim." A semen test should tell you. I would be concerned with the conception percentage you are having. Best of luck to you.

What if they test out fine, but still dont get mares bred?

Just curious, thankfully my boy has no problem with that.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Then you need to try other tests. But remember, there is no better evaluation of fertility than breeding mares!

Motility is not a very good indicator of fertility at all. It is a very good indicator of consistancy and health of a paticular ejaculation, but a stallion might have 99% motility but have a defect in his acrosomal caps which prevents his sperm from penetrating the mare's oocyte.

Latest posts

Back