Question about 8-day-old colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shannonw

Reaction score
This is my first experience with foals so I am not sure what is normal and what is not. For the past two days I have noticed that our little colt looks weak in the front legs. When he is standing in one place his legs almost look like they are starting to bow out. I am not sure if this is normal since he is still so young or if this is something that needs attention. A while back someone posted about a free sample of Rejuvenaide Plus so I went ahead and got my free sample. Would this be something helpful to him?

He is still nursing, pooping, and peeing. After he was born we got him all his shots and had blood work done. They said his IGG was low but I am not sure they actually did it right because the vial they gave us to collect it in was not correct so by the time I got it back to the vet's office and they tested it, it was already clotting. (we had a friend draw the blood because I have no idea how to do that) Anyway, since they said his IGG tested low we had to give him three days worth of penicillin injections.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator:
When you say that his front legs "almost look like they are starting to bow out" do you mean that his legs are bowing to the front, the sides, or to the back? And how old is he? Is he walking and running ok? If his legs are getting weaker than they were at birth, it definitely is something that isn't right. A foal's legs get stronger over time. It may be something for your vet to check out.

*Edit* Whoops, sorry, I didn't realize that you'd said how old the colt is in the title of your post.

If his legs were strong and fine the first six days of his life and now are looking weak, I don't know what could be causing it, I only know that it's not normal. Hoping for the best for your colt!

I just went out and got a picture of him, maybe this will help. It seems to be bowing out more to the sides. It is not all the time but when he is just standing still I notice this. He is still sleeping a lot during the day but does run around some when his mom does. He is 8 days old. Could this maybe be because he is just tired and relaxed while he is standing still? He seems really healthy otherwise. I certainly don't want to write off anything though if it is something more serious...better safe than sorry!

Thanks for the help!

100_2776.jpg

You need to have a vet out for your foal.......Not a second hand adviser.

This may be an easy fix, but the way your baby is bowing outward, I wouldn't want to give you the wrong suggestions.

That looks like my Dandy (the mini I had in the '70's) only a bit worse. I took him to the University of Davis Vet School. There was nothing they could do for him. But at that time he was about 19 or 20. Sorry I didn't have anything hopeful to say. I pray there is something the vet can do for him.

If that were my foal, I would confine him and his dam to a very small area immediately. Either a stall or an area no larger than that outside. He appears to be overstressing those tendons and ligaments and making them lax. He needs to tighten up and the less stress on them the better. Give him a few days to a week of confinement and see if that helps. The Rejuvenade could help too. Good luck with him.

I'm with Maryann. That looks pretty serious and something you need a vet out for. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the suggestions! I am going to call the vet first thing in the morning. For tonight I will put them in a smaller pen like Becky suggested. I went ahead and gave him some of the Rejuvenaide when I went out to feed. I was watching him while his momma was eating and he was standing there dozing off and his little front legs just kept relaxing to the point it woke him up and then he stood back up straight only to doze off and do the same thing again. I am going to head out now and get the pen ready for them for the night. Thanks again for all the help!

Becky is right, tendons are lax and confining him until he is stronger will probably help. Would definitely have him looked at though, your vet may be able to help him through it a little faster. I have one this year who did that though not to the same extreme. He's fine now.

Cute boy.
default_smile.png

Jan

I had a filly do this this season, and my vet had me turn her out for exersise. She got better every day, and by a week old was spot on. Never looked back. He told me it was from having her locked in the stable for too long (she had lax tendons on the back - buck knee'd like your boy at the front - so her back end needed confinement, and her front end needed turn out lol). But she is spot on now.

I hope your vet has some good suggestions.

This is the first time l've seen legs like that on a foal...l hope you'll post as to why they are to that extreme when you find out..

I am going to call in the morning first thing, and will let you guys know what they say. About an hour after I gave him the rejuvenaide he perked up and was jumping around playing. I went ahead and put mom and baby in a stall for the night so hopefully they can both get some good rest. I'll post again tomorrow when I find out more info.

I would not confine her as she is not used to it and this will stress her further. For the sake of one more night (then you will do what the Vet tells you) I would leave her in the routine she is used to.

One thing that flags up red with me is that she is doing this when standing, and most foals this age would be lying down a lot of the time. Does this baby lie down?? If so, how long for and when??

I would not confine her as she is not used to it and this will stress her further. For the sake of one more night (then you will do what the Vet tells you) I would leave her in the routine she is used to.

One thing that flags up red with me is that she is doing this when standing, and most foals this age would be lying down a lot of the time. Does this baby lie down?? If so, how long for and when??

Yes, he does lie down a lot during the day. Most of the time when I look out he is napping. I went out last night and checked on them in the stall (a 10 x 16) and they both seemed content in there so I went ahead and left them as we were getting some rain. We have an area about double that size that I put them in this morning.

I am waiting for the vet to call me back. The girl I talked to this morning there said most of the time these things just work themselves out but she was going to talk to him. After a night's rest he did seem stronger in his front legs and was being really playful.
default_smile.png
I am going to go out and check on him right now. I will keep yall posted!

With all due respect...you have gotten advice that directly contradicts other advice, all within this one thread. I am pretty sure that NO ONE posting so far is an equine veterinarian; I have many, MANY years of horse experience, but have never seen a condition like your foal's in any youngster, and I would strongly recommend consulting a qualified and experienced equine vet in this instance...for SURE, that's what I would do myself!

JMHO. I wish the best for your sweet foal; hope you will find what to do to help him.

Margo

If you Google "Angular Limb Deformities" and "Valgus Deformities" you will find a lot of helpful information. An angular limb deformity is when the legs are crooked when viewed from the front, and valgus means they bend outwards. We spent a lot of time discussing developmental orthopedic diseases in a class I took last semester, and were taught that exercise, not confinement, is generally the best thing for foals like this as it helps to strengthen the limbs. I do not have personal experience with this, but that is what was drilled into our heads. Let us know what the vet has to say, good luck with him.

I finally got a call back from the vet. Since they have already closed for the day I sent him the picture so he could look at it tonight. He is going to let me know what he thinks and if he needs to see him we will take him in the morning. I will let yall know more when I do. Thanks for all the good thoughts too!

Well the vet e-mailed me back and said to give the mare and foal strict stall rest for one week and then to either bring them in or send him some more pictures. That was so nice of him to help me without having to load everyone up. Our mare is not going to like it at all though
default_no.gif
as she is not used to being cooped up like that. Guess we will see how it goes!
default_wacko.png

I have had two foals like yours here, both were a bit premmie and like your vet mine recommended limited excercise. I kept them stabled at night and during the day we set up a small 8 x 8 pen on the grass and carried baby out with the mom so mom could get some grass and sun. Both foals came out fine after about 2 to 3 weeks and grew up normal, strong and healthy. One has competed at the national level as a driving horse!

I've never seen a foal with that condition, and I've been raising miniatures for over a decade and a half. Poor little guy. I hope that you will have the same experience as the others who have dealt with similar problems, but I still think that a vet should see this colt.
default_yes.gif
Lax tendons and such should get BETTER with time, not worse, so there may be something else going on that only a medical professional might see.

In any case, good luck with him!

Latest posts

Back