Pyrex Unsafe???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gini

Reaction score
It is on Snopes and as someone who has a lot of Pyrex bakeware I am disposing of it all. Better safe than sorry!

]Check out Snopes @

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp

Date: Thursday, September 24, 2009 , 2:05 PM

?

Subject: Pyrex Unsafe???

Don't delete this one--anyone who cooks with Pyrex needs to be aware of this!

I Checked at Wall Mart and all the warnings are there.

About 5:30 PM there was a loud bang from the oven. Sylvia opened the oven door and the Pyrex dish had shattered into a million pieces. The roast beef (our first in many months) was peppered with small shards of very sharp glass. Normally, I am quick to inform Sylvia she did something stupid. However,this time she was nowhere near the stove when it blew. I shoveled the glass and the now mashed potatoes into a bucket with two putty knives. I then sucked the remains with the shop vac. I let everything cool down and then scrubbed the oven with Simple Green and some hot soapy water. It took over an hour to clean up the goo. Upon completion I ran the oven empty to see if the temperature controller was working okay. I suspected the oven got too hot and the dish simply blew. This was not the case however. The oven came up to temperature and cycled normally. We threw a disgusting frozen pizza in the oven and it cooked okay.

What is going on?

I Googled exploding Pyrex dishes and got ten million hits.

Exploding Pyrex is very common.

Here is the story.

A long, long time ago in a country we all know and love was a company named Corning . They made Pyrex dishes. The material they used is called borosilicate glass. This stuff is indestructible. But like everything else, the Bottom Liners had a great idea: sell the technology to another company. The Chinese discovered that using soda lime glass was almost as good as borosilicate glass and a lot cheaper. Today, Wal-Mart is the largest distributor of Pyrex products. Corning not only sold the technology to a company called World Kitchen, they also sold the rights to the original Pyrex logo. Seamless. The consumer will never know.

Now it seems people are getting hurt using soda lime Pyrex. We were lucky because the dish broke while the oven was closed and the damage was limited to the oven cavity. Others have been less fortunate. Some dishes explode when they are lifted from the heating rack in the oven with devastating results. Some people are heavily scarred. World Kitchen is in denial. They say that the dishes are another brand, not theirs. Contrary to their denials the victims usually have more than one of these dishes and the Pyrex logo is clearly visible.

If you buy a Pyrex dish beware. The label on the front says oven safe, freezer safe, microwave safe. The instructions on the back tell another story. You cannot move a soda lime Pyrex dish from the freezer to the oven and expect it to survive. The fine print goes on and on about what you are not allowed to do with the Pyrex dish. The fine print has prevented World Kitchen from being sued because they have warned the consumer that their Pyrex dishes are junk from the get go. And they are the same price as the original Corning dishes. What a bunch of losers we all are for buying this crap.

What to do?

If you own borosilicate Pryex dishes no fear. They have to be more than 25 years old to be sure they are indeed Corning dishes. I am not sure if the old Pryex dishes have anything stamped in them that indicates they are made by Corning . You may continue to use the soda lime dishes for holding stuff. Just do not attempt to roast or microwave with them as the hazard is very clear.

The reason the soda lime dishes let go is that over time they develop micro-cracks. Once a few micro-cracks are present and once some liquid finds its way into the cracks you have the bomb situation. The liquid is like shoving a crowbar in the dish and pulling it apart. Super heated liquids expand rapidly and it is the super heated liquids that force the soda li me glass to shatter into tens of thousands of shards.

Since Corning no longer makes Pyrex and Sylvia proudly holds a large collection of the soda lime Pyrex, we decided that one bomb in the kitchen is enough. The Pyrex dishes will go bye-bye in this week’s trash. I do not know what we will use for cake and pie dishes going forward . If you have some suggestions we are listening.

I strongly urge you not to use the soda lime Pyrex for the oven, stovetop or microwave. The slightest invisible crack is all it takes to have a mess and a possible injury..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pertinent information! I know I would certainly NEVER have known that PYREX wasn't what it used to be!

Shameful of Corning to do what they did, and of the 'new' owner of the name and technology to do what THEY have done...guess it's a good reminder of how important it is to read the fine print, in these times.
default_sad.png

I have numerous pieces of the 'original' PYREX, all of them well over 25 years old (most were my mother's, so more like over 40 years old!) I don't use them much, but when I need them, they are the ONLY choice! Guess I'd best take extra special care of them now!

Margo

This happened to me a few years back.

I had finished baking a big pan/dish of lasagna, took it out of the oven, and put it on pot holders on the counter to "rest", I turn around to wash up the dishes ... KABOOOOM!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
It sounded like someone had taken a baseball bat to my china cabinet.

Shattered glass literally went EVERYWHERE, like an explosion, in my clothes, hair, shards in my arms..all over the counters, floor, sink. I was still finding it the next day 20+ feet away from the counter it was on. I have never had anything happen like that before, or since, for that matter.

Of course the hubs runs in after hearing the commotion... "what did you do"
default_wacko.png
, I told him I hadn't done anything different than when I baked it last time.... I never could comprehend how that dish exploded, but this article explains it.

I'm very thankful my children weren't in the kitchen with me when that happened.

It happened to me a few weeks ago with a small pyrex bowl in the microwave. It didn't explode but cracked all over the place. If it had been in the microwave longer I bet it would have shattered. Thanks for posting as I just assumed it was old. I have one small bowl left, I will just use it for measuring and not put it in the ovens, obviously they are new ones.

I've got 2 that are as old as the hills so they should be okay. One is newer but I can't remember if we got it before or after we moved here....if before it would be 24 or 25 years old, if after it's likely 20-23 years old....on the bottom it says Pyrex - England. Would the newer ones be labelled China, or are some made with the faulty material even if they're made in England or Canada or the USA?

I truly don't know about the one's made in England, if made in China I would be worried about them. I know none of mine are older than 14 years old as when we moved I bought all new cookware. Mine are pitched! I want nothing that would or could hurt my family in my kitchen. No telling if by accident someone would use pyrex in my home without knowing. At this point I'd rather be safe now than sorry later.

I cook in my glass casserole dishes religiously, and we just bought them within the past few years from Walmart. I had no idea that this was happening! How scary! I have passed it on to everyone I know.

I just checked, and my glass dishes are Anchor-made. That should be safe, right? (I know nothing about cookware!)

I don't think this includes the Anchor. What I am getting is that it is marketed under the Pyrex name.

I had one " 9 by 13" explode a on me in the Oven.. temp 350.* about 6 years ago. Ruined dinner but just glad it did not do it sitting on the counter with family around. Thank you for posting this because I would not of thought to look online to see if it happened to anyone else.

Wish I could afford more of the Bennington potters bakeware.... now their stuff isn't going to explode on you and it is American made. Have some mixing bowls and muffin pans and I love them!

http://www.benningtonpotters.com/

Just last year, my mother had a 13x9 Pyrex dish explode after she took it out of the oven (or was it the micro?). She wrote a letter to them and they explained it sometimes happens and they gave her another dish.

I had a 9in. square explode on me a few years ago, but I figured it was my fault.
default_smile.png
(Not real smart around hot things!)
default_no.gif

With the violence of the explosions, it is not acceptable for this company to say it "just sometimes happens"! It should not be happening with the regularity it is. I'm sorry but I don't intend to be one of the people it "happens" to. After reading this report and personally knowing 2 people that had this experience, I will never buy pyrex again. I did read the entire article top to bottom and saw nothing to change my mind.

knowing 2 people that had this experience, I will never buy pyrex again. I did read the entire article top to bottom and saw nothing to change my mind.
I had the bottom fall out of one about 20 years ago, but haven't had any problems since...knocking on wood... But, the part that was particularly incorrect is the portion that says it is not manufactured in the USA...which brings posts like this one to mind.

[their stuff isn't going to explode on you and it is American made./quote]
Pyrex, IS manufactured in the USA.

I figure, if you are cooking with glass, you are taking that chance it will break. The dish I had broke as soon as it touched the counter, possibly because I had just cleaned the counter off, and it was still damp...who knows. That was the last time I ever cooked anything that would spill or splatter in a glass dish of any type or anme-brand.

[their stuff isn't going to explode on you and it is American made./quote]
Pyrex, IS manufactured in the USA.

I figure, if you are cooking with glass, you are taking that chance it will break. The dish I had broke as soon as it touched the counter, possibly because I had just cleaned the counter off, and it was still damp...who knows. That was the last time I ever cooked anything that would spill or splatter in a glass dish of any type or anme-brand.
Sue I agree with you about cooking with glass. However, while World Kitchen may be an American Co and it does have major distribution operations in the United States, Canada, and Asia-Pacific regions. The distributions centers I have found are in the US and Canada however, the major manufacturing is done in China. Alot of American company's now have their products made overseas, and as we have found in AZ a lot goes to Mexico. It is a shame that quality is jepordized and jobs lost.

It IS true that you need to be careful with a glass pan when taking it out of the oven or microwave; one time I emptied out what I had cooked onto plates, and put the empty glass casserole dish into my wet sink. CRACK!
default_new_shocked.gif
(thank heavens it didn't EXPLODE though!) But for glass dishes to be basically exploding when just going from the heat of the oven to room-temperature air is just plain wrong.

Thanks for posting this. A couple things that stood out to me from the snopes write-up are that this is something that can happen to any glass dish and that pyrex available in the USA started being made with this lime stuff in 1946 so even your older ones can be made out of the stuff. It sounds like caution should be used no matter what age or what brand of glass baking dish you use.

Latest posts

Back