Zip lock bag Omlettes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluerocket

Reaction score
My mother called last night with this recipe -- we tried it this am - used 3 eggs instead of 2 and more ingredients so cooked it a few minutes bit longer. It was delicious!

Please see the warning from zip lock bag people at the bottom. We used a 6 qt pot and reduced the heat after putting the bags in. Bags did not appear to melt any. We cooked 2 in the same pot at one time - but I changed positions (top/bottom) 2 times to make sure they got equal heat - also made sure there was enough water that bags did not touch the bottom --

In any case they were yummy!!

http://www.mrbreakfast.com/superdisplay.asp?recipeid=1076

Omelettes In A Bag
default_firstprize.gif

(1 serving) Printable Version

2 Large Eggs

1 Tablespoon of Cheese

1 Tablespoon or so of any other ingredient you like in your omelette (like bacon or onion) - Optional

1 Small Ziploc Sandwich size Freezer Bag

Crack eggs right into the small Ziploc bag. Add the cheese and any option ingredients you like. Seal the bag, squish the ingredients to mix. "Burp" the air out.

Bring a medium-sized pan of water to a heavy boil.

Drop Ziploc baggie into the boiling water. Boil for 5 minunte.

Carefully, remove baggie from the water. Open the bag and roll the omelette onto a plate. YUM !

This was used to feed a group of twentyfive. Everyone had a hot breakfast!

WARNING From Mr Breakfast:

As of August 2006, the ZIPLOC company does NOT recommend using their bags to boil food. ZIPLOC brand Bags are made from polyethylene plastic with a softening point of approximately 195 degrees Fahrenheit. When exposed to boiling water, the plastic could begin to melt.

This Recipe was Tested in the Kitchen of Charlie and Betsy McHugh. When the Omelet is done it slides right out of the bag. No Fuss, No Muss. Please read warning before considering this recipe.

Mr Breakfast would like to thank McHugh for this recipe.

My hubby has been making these for years. He also adds green peppers, mushrooms, bacon (or sausage..which has already been friend and cut up) onions. They really are good and easy, and I love the idea of no mess. We have a large kettle and he can make up to 12 at a time. Sure beats making omelettes on the stove! It is so handy when we have company over the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard about these on the radio a few months ago, thought it sounded fascinating and great for camping! Nice to know they really do work.

Leia

We have been making these for years too...they are great for camping...it is nice that everyone can put whatever they like in the bag and then basically cook them all together..we just write everyone's names on the bags.

This sounds intriguing, but with all that I've heard about plastic should not be used for cooking food (it gives off chemicals into the food when it gets hot), I would reserve my opinion without further research.

Sounds like a good idea otherwise and I know there are "heat and eat" bags!

if those are safe, maybe these are too...

Liz

Latest posts

Back