Putting show housing on draft harness?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Performancemini

Reaction score
OK. So I bought my husband show housings for his draft collars for christmas. Now how do we put them on correctly? And how/where do the sidechecks hook? Can't find any good photos with enough detail. He wants to use one in Single Draft at our mini show this weekend.

Bryants-are you out there reading???
default_please.gif
ANYONE????? ANYONE?????
default_frusty.gif
default_please.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only put them on draft horses.

You have to have collars with deep grooves (hame bed) that will fit both the housings and the hames. The housing probably has a buckle on the bottom, and it just buckles tight around the collar and then the hames go right on top/in front.

As to your check rein, I've seen a few different setups. Most times there is a waterhook metal piece that sticks out in front of the housing, so it doesn't really run back to the saddle/back pad. The check can hook right to the top of the collar. I'm guessing your housing doesn't have this metal piece?

I think I've seen people run the check around the sides of the housing but this looks really terrible. I've also seen the check attached to the game rings (the ones next to the top game strap ratchets). I guess photos of your harness would be the most helpful. Not sure how it is designed.

https://www.rainbowsendtack.com/DrivingEquipmentPage1.htm

This page has a photo of a patent leather housing that shows the front... There is a metal part with what looks like a screw for the hook on it...

https://www.mydrafthorse.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=683&CFID=9814379&CFTOKEN=f3537ccc499b45aa-41D242A9-E92C-4080-4A665B463F1442ED

This also shows a mini collar housing with the hook and strap for connecting a check rein. It's the little collar on the right side.

Still don't have the hang of putting photos on. Plus I am not good with my phone camera either.

Anyway-I kind of thought that was how it went on. Also, the gal that answers the phone at Mydrafthorsesuperstore explained it pretty much the same way, but wasn't sure on the check. There's also a strap that she said runs under the housing and hooks to the backpad's check snap. I actually did buy their housings- the one you pointed out on their website. Our collars seem to have a deep groove-so we will have to give it a trial run. I think we will have to shorten the checks though, since they won't be going back to the backpad with the housing on.

It sounds like you can get it figured out... You just have to fit it so the heavier collar doesn't rock around too much... That's why the strap helps hold it back to the back pad too.

That makes sense. We need to make a trial run this evening if he's going to drive the class with it Sunday LOL! (it's Single Draft) Now if he could just get the other horse to work well as a team with this one-he'd be ready to really roll. He needs a little practice handling a team again. His first (now retired) had one with a stifle problem, which made him somewhat heavy on the forehand at times and my husband got used to having to be a little strong on the rein for him (poor teammate had to adjust). Poor habit. Husband doesn't actually have heavy hands though. Both these "new" ones have sensitive mouths and he handles them fine. The one he usually drives the most (his favorite of the two) is somewhat quick and sensitive, but willing. The "problem" horse tends to be a bit stubborn and "I want it my way, when I say" type. The three make an awkward triangle.

Latest posts

Back