Putting breeding mares under lights

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kari

Reaction score
Hello,

I have 4 mares I plan on breeding in late-February. In order to get them cycling so early, I plan to put them under lights.

A search didn't give me answers, so I'll go ahead and ask my questions!

1. How long? A long-time breeder told me to start two months before I want them to cycle, and to make sure the mares have light 14 hours a day.

2. Does it need to be continuous? I mean, the mares will have approx. 6 hours of light outdoors, then approx. 8 more in the barn. Do I need to be sure there's no "dark" for them, do they need to come in before the sun goes down?

I hope that made sense...!!!

Kari

I have several APHA/AQHA halter breeder friends who use a light program to induce early cycling for early breeding.. The "rule of thumb" I've learned from them is a typical light cycle is between 14-16 hours of light followed by 8-10 hours of darkness per day.. I know one of my friends farm has lights that come on in the barn at 7 am, mares are turned out around 9:30-10 am, mares brought in at 5 for feeding and the lights go off 11 pm..

It takes typically 60 days (depends on the mare, some take a little longer) for a winter anestrus mare to begin cycling again with the lighting system, so a minimum of 60-90 days prior to planned breeding is typical for a starting time, you said you wanted to breed in February, so I would start your mares on the lighting period late November/beginning of December..

Start lights around thanksgiving. Also when you add light add it in the EVENING, not the morning. It has been shown to be much less effective if light is added in the morning. And yes, you want it in a (relatively) continuous period, so bring them in before dark. As far as how much light and of what type, ANY type of light is fine as long as the stall is light enough "to read a newspaper in every corner".

Last edited by a moderator:
By accident we caused an early breeding in our barn.

Years ago we had sheep who were due to lamb around end of December so turned the barn lights on 1st part of November and left them on full time till the lambing was over, which ended up being end of April.

We only had three horses at the time and there happened to be a "too young, we thought" colt in with the two mares.

Next year we were surprised to see a baby November 19th in the stall with the group.

Given that time frame I would say the lighting effect caused him to breed in December, with "Lights On" mid November.

In our climate the horses are virtually stall bound from mid November thru till spring, and when we had the sheep the lights were on full time.

Kari!!! Are you going to be in the barn in January? Yikes girl you will freeze. I have one due in mid Feb and I am dreading the cold. I will have to get a Kal Glo heater for sure.

Thanks, everyone!

Yep, Kim, Tig and Gracie's babies will be showers for sure, either by me or new owners, so I want them born as close to Jan 1st as possible.

Heat lamps here I come.............

Kari

Heat is not nessesary... a 100w bulb in a 12x12 stall is plenty.
default_smile.png
Heat lamps are dangerous in barns if not very carefully used.

Back