Putting a Mini on a Diet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgsleather

Reaction score
Just got a mini...he has great blood lines but has been rather neglected over the past few years. The previous owners thought they were doing him a favor by feeding him 2 flakes a day, plus 2 pounds of Lake & Lite daily, plus those horse "cookies". Needless to say, he is two axe handles wide across the back and belly. They also let his feet go bad, but I've had the ferrier out, and he said I could round-pen him now. My question is this: Can he safely go down to l pound of hay in the morning, 1/2 pound at lunch, and 1 pound at night. He would also get 2 cups of Lake & Lite morning and night, a two carrots and one apple at night. Any input will be greatly appreciated, as I hope to get him in shape over the winter months and start him harness/driving training in spring.

How big is he, how old is he and roughly what does he weigh?? What he is getting feed wise is a bit OTT but the hay seems about right- what sort of hay is he getting and what weight of hay was he getting?? Is he on grazing, is he stalled?? More info please
biggrin.gif

[SIZE=14pt]Weigh your feed.... see how many cups are in the 2 pounds. 4 cups of my feed equals 1.8 pounds. How big is this guy height wise? Also is he just fat across his middle or does he have an apple butt with a crease and a thick chest and neck? If not then he has belly gut fill from the hay because that is a huge amount of hay. 2 pounds twice a day isnt alot of grain at my house.... but mine dont get that much hay product either. With winter coming you dont want to diet him too much.... work him a little more, reduce the hay to maybe 1/2 a flake twice a day and see if that doesnt make a difference. It would help if we could see a picture of him.[/SIZE]

Lyn

rabbitsfizz said:
How big is he, how old is he and roughly what does he weigh??  What he is getting feed wise is a bit OTT but the hay seems about right- what sort of hay is he getting and what weight of hay was he getting??  Is he on grazing, is he stalled?? More info please
biggrin.gif

499813[/snapback]

He is 32 inches tall, 9 years old. He is big around the belly, with a somewhat wide butt. I notice you both eluded to weighing his food...would 2 1/2 pounds per day, with the 2 lbs of pellets be too much? I am using a combination of Bermuda and Timothy, he is in a corral, not free grazing (he had free grazing along with all that food before).

All horses should be fed by weight -- both theirs and the weight of the feed. The next considerations are activity level and stage of growth. Your horse would currently fall into the adult maintenance category until he starts working on a more regular basis. Even then, unless he has a rigorous exercise program of about 20 minutes plus 5-7 days per week, he may still be able to do quite well on the adult maintenance diet.

Here are a few rules of horse nutrition:

1) All horses (unless medically unable) should receive at least 1% of their ideal body weight in long stem fiber (long stem = 1" or greater) per day, i.e. hay, chopped hay, grass, hay cubes, or even beet pulp can qualify for part of that amount. This helps a horse maintain proper gut health. If your mini weighs 250 lbs and his goal weight is 200 lbs, then 1% of 200 is 2 lbs of hay or other long stem fiber source per day. Most horses will do well and maintain their weight on 1.5% of body weight (in our example horse, 3 lbs of hay).

2) The average horse is usually fed 1.5% of body weight per day. Some horses will require more, but 3% of body weight is about as much bulk as a horse can handle in a day. Our ideal body weight mini of 200 lbs would therefore receive 3 lbs of feed daily. He could have that in many combinations. A maintenance horse might not need ANY grain to keep his proper weight, or if overweight probably should NOT have any grain. He might do well on 3 lbs of hay per day, period. Another diet plan might be 2 lbs of hay and 1 lb of a grain or grain mix per day.

3) Grain should not exceed 50% of the total daily diet (unless it is truly a complete feed which can substitute for hay -- it will say so right on the bag). In our above example, this would equate to a maximum of 1.5 lbs of grain which could be matched with 1.5 lbs of hay.

4) Hay will likely not provide 100% of horse's daily nutrient needs. Horses on an all hay (or pasture) diet will need to be supplemented with at least a general vitamin/mineral mix on a daily basis. Also free choice white salt and clean water should always be available.

There is a formula for estimating your mini's weight.

body length x body length x heart girth divided by 300

Here is a link to an article which will show you how to take the measurements using a standard dressmaker's tape measure:

Estimating Horse Body Weight with a Simple Formula

Once you know your horse's weight, you can estimate what an ideal body weight should be (if he is overweight) and feed accordingly. A simple postal scale or kitchen scale is accurate enough to weigh small amounts of feed and a fisherman's hanging scale and a plastic garbage bag provide an easy method of weighing hay.

Robin C

A lot of good information has been shared, however I haven't heard anyone mention what type of grain is being fed or the percentage of fat. Look at the tag on the feed bag for the percentage of protein, fiber and fat. The protein level needed will be determined by the amount of activity, age, condition. A high amount of fiber to keep the poop flowing (colic prevention), but this is acheived by hay, beet pulp and other ways in addition to the grain. The fat content is of great importance. Do not feed 6% fat if you want your horse to lose weight. I personally do not like sweet feed but if you are in a cold climate it could be helpful for body heat. I have never seen anyone lose weight on a molases diet. Low fat and exercise perhaps feeding oats instead of grain would be my suggestion. Good Luck.

I have trimmed a fattie down that was at serious risk for founder. Aside from just cutting back the amount of feed I recommend you scatter the hay (pseudo grazing) and make him work for every strand! This will help keep the horse occupied and might prevent some cribbing from starting. I fed a good quality mix of local and orchard grass and only gave a small handful of grain here and there.

Latest posts

Back