Put My Money Where My Mouth Is

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valshingle

Reaction score
Well, I've been contacted by someone in Europe about them purchasing some of my horses. Discussion was progressing nicely and the buyer just mentioned the quarantine facility they want to use. I said that I wouldn't use facility 'X'. I mentioned recent allegations of neglect and some personal knowledge. I mentioned some alternative facilities that I recommend. I told the potential buyer that I understood if this caused the sale to be cancelled, but the welfare of the horses was my priority.

So, now I'm praying that this doesn't kill the sale. In this economy, it will really hurt. I think the buyer already has some horses at facility 'X' ready to start quarantine. Say some prayers for me.

I admire you for refusing to use a quarantine 'X' even if it kills the sale. It just proves that you truly care about your animals. As a buyer I would respect you greatly for that and that would actually encourage me to buy from you. If they are smart they will see the value of buying an animal from someone who takes such great care to make sure her animals are in the best possible condition and situation. Kudos to you. Hope the sale goes through smooth with use of a different facility.

I have been looking into buying some horses in the States and it isn't easy. Due to amount of money it costs to import I would imagine that your buyer is very interested in the well being of these horses. If it was me I would thank you for your help and go and try to remove the horses that I previously sent to quarantine "x" and send them along with your horse to a quarantine with a better reference. Lets pray this is what will happen.

Your horses are very lucky chips!
wub.gif

How does anyone have horses at the "x" place if they never answer the phone!!! Rolleyes

Good for you and the more folks outside the country here are educated too, the more they will quit using them and find someone reliable that will care for the horses correctly! I would have done the same thing, and if it kills the sale, at least the horse will live and will eventually go to a great home that appreciates it.

Sent you a PM Jill

The sale is stalled right now. Buyer does not have the funds to purchase. So time will tell how this ends. Meanwhile, the horses are being advertised.

Terrific mama, you are! How many of us would allow our horses to be put on transport trailer, knowing their care during the journey will not be pleasant. Learned this the hard way on my first out-of-state sale -- buyer insisted on a specific transporter. Good thing I took pics of the horses as they boarded the trailer, as they ended up contracting a strange virus which caused their noses to break out in red spots. Whew, I was glad she turned her fury on the hauler where it squarely belonged. (Took 2 weeks for the horses to arrive in Florida, from Wisconsin -- and the transporter NEVER communicated/returned calls while the babies were in his care.) Poor woman ended up with a large vet bill, as she subsequently had to contend with an entire barn of high dollar Morgans with the virus.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been thinking about replying to this topic since it was first brought up on a previous thread, so here goes.

My wife and I were at the facility (mentioned by name on the previous thread) on December 5th of this year to pick up a shetland mare, in foal, to bring back to Florida. At no time did either of us see horses that appeared to be extremely thin or ill. We were treated with professionalism every step of the way. At no time did we have trouble reaching the party by telephone. Could there have been starving or mistreated horses? Could have been, but we did not see it. The mare had been at the facility since the North Texas Pony Sale waiting for a ride to Florida. She seemed to be in good weight and appeared to have no other issues. The owner was pleased in the condition of her horse when it was delivered. The facility also had all of the proper paperwork in order so the mare could travel, this included a second piroplasmosis test so the horse could enter the state of Florida. (a previous shipper had cancelled, so an updated test was necessary)

I really don't have a dog in this fight but I just wanted to give another viewpoint of someone that has recently visited the facility. It seems that occasionally threads take on a life of their own and some put in their "two cents worth" without any personal knowledge.

Once again, this is just what I saw at our recent visit and I have no knowledge of the other alleged issues.

Gary

I have been thinking about replying to this topic since it was first brought up on a previous thread, so here goes.

My wife and I were at the facility (mentioned by name on the previous thread) on December 5th of this year to pick up a shetland mare, in foal, to bring back to Florida. At no time did either of us see horses that appeared to be extremely thin or ill. We were treated with professionalism every step of the way. At no time did we have trouble reaching the party by telephone. Could there have been starving or mistreated horses? Could have been, but we did not see it. The mare had been at the facility since the North Texas Pony Sale waiting for a ride to Florida. She seemed to be in good weight and appeared to have no other issues. The owner was pleased in the condition of her horse when it was delivered. The facility also had all of the proper paperwork in order so the mare could travel, this included a second piroplasmosis test so the horse could enter the state of Florida. (a previous shipper had cancelled, so an updated test was necessary)

I really don't have a dog in this fight but I just wanted to give another viewpoint of someone that has recently visited the facility. It seems that occasionally threads take on a life of their own and some put in their "two cents worth" without any personal knowledge.

Once again, this is just what I saw at our recent visit and I have no knowledge of the other alleged issues.

Gary
I was there in October, so unless there was a BIG change in her place then, I'm guessing you didn't see all of her place.

Back