Purina Strategy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
Very rarely do my guys ever have runny manure but the last 3 bags of Strategy that I have opened have given several of them the loose manure for the first day or 2. I do inspect the bags when I open them and I usually only buy a few at a time. They always seem to smell good and I have never noticed a problem w/the horses untill the last couple of months. It only lasts for a day and then they are right back to normal poops. Do you think that they change the formula or recipes? Where would I look on the bag to find out if they are all from the same batch? Any ideas or has anyone else ever noticed this? The bags that started this have all been their new "Pink Bags"

I've not noticed any difference with the pink bags. Then agian I generally notice a slight difference in every bag (I love purina, and strategy..but the consistancy isn't there). But no difference with the pink bags.....

Below is a link to a youtube video about the pink bags ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvjqA0lwYvo

The lot number is on the fabric strip on the end of the bag. It's a group of numbers and letters.

Check your expiration dates. Some small stores that don't have a huge turn over might have older feed.

To answer your question, I never see any difference in the formulation. It's much less likely to have differences than your local feed mill who produces horse feed, like a sweet feed.

Are you running out of feed and then starting them on it again? Otherwise I don't know what would be causing it. Is it the only variable? No other differences in feed, bedding, hay etc? Does it coincide with your worming schedule?

Good luck with figuring this out. It's always a challenge with animals
default_wacko.png

I haven't noticed any change here lately either
default_biggrin.png

I just have to throw out that Purina is now selling Strategy Healthy Edge which does have several differences from the 'classic' strategy.

Hi

Right now the Strategy that I'm buying (pink bags) has a lot of small pieces of corn in it. I have fed Purina for years and "they do change" the ingredients, depending on what is available at the mills/areas where the feed is produced.(This is per the Purina Rep). The protein, fat etc., is the same but the ingredients do change. I have seen peanut hulls in mine as well at times. The general description of the feed they put in the product sounds nearly the same on all products, by most everyone. You never know the amounts of each ingredient listed or the exact nature of the ingredient as terms are general.

They did do an overall change of formula some months back for Strategy, thus the pink bags. Other feeds of theirs as well and they have added new feeds in the past few months. Overall, Purina provides a good product.

If you are sure it is the feed you are giving them causing this problem, I would not feed it. I would return it.

Good luck,

Beth

I started using the "pink" bags in November and I also had loose stools in the pasture. It cleared up quickly and I've seen no additional issues. The horses like it and they do well on Strategy so I'm OK with it at this point. But yes, I did see some loose stools after I started with the pink bags. It didn't last long though.

Interesting thread.

Latest posts

Back