Purina Miniature Horse and Pony Feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I switched mine over a week ago. Too early to tell.

I switched both of my horses over to the purina mini feed in august. One gelding, one stallion. While my overweight stallion did loose some weight, he also became very ill. We ran a bunch of blood work, everything came back ok, treated for colic, and had persistent issues, treated for ulcers, and he still wasnt right. Took him off the mini horse and pony food, and BAM big change. My gelding was at a good weight when we put him on the mini horse feed, he was done working for the season, and hasn't been doing anything. My horses are stalled to eat and overnight, and turned out in a paddock unless there is extremely bad weather. He was actually lost weight on the mini horse and pony feed. Im feeding him more than he was eating of a different feed when he was in 5day a week full time driving training and out being shown this summer. Ive actually had to up his alfalfa in his diet, and add a bit of oil to his feed just to keep weight on him. I dont want my horses going into winter thin. Both of my horses were dappled nicely when I put them on this feed, and both lost their dapples, and shine. Im planning to switch to the new Purina Senior Active feed. I have a weanling colt coming home in about two weeks, Im putting him on ultium growth until hes a year old, then will re evaluate what his needs are. The only thing Im going to miss about this feed is that it came in the plastic feed sacks, I did love that!

Last edited by a moderator:
What company puts out the Prime Glo? is ADM the company? I have been using the purina mini feed. He likes it but his coat is getting dull on it and I wouldn't mind changing to something to make him shiny again. He is also a bit overweight. Alot is winter woolies but he could stand to loose alittle weight. He gets about 2 lbs of hay 2 times a day. the grain he gets 1/2 cup 2 times a day.

We feed this and it does wonderful. I have some friends that are leasing two horses that were not on it prior and they have been on it about a month now and they are doing awesome. I pay 13.05 a bag and feeding 4 minis one bag last a little over 2 weeks

I haven't and likely won't be trying the Purina mini feed. I really like the heavily FORAGE-based, steam-extruded Thrive' feed that I've mentioned here before...but it is in such limited distribution, and the nearest dealer so far from me, that I won't be getting any more when I run out of what I now have as things now stand.('Thrive' is advertised to be able to 'free feed', as with rescues that need rehabbing/serious weight gain.)

However, I HAVE found a 'similar'formula available in the Albuq. metro area, and intend to try it...though I don't think it is quite as 'good' a formulation as the 'Thrive'(whose first ingredient is alfalfa, second is timothy, THEN a grain(grain sorghum), and etc., while the 'other' starts w/ alfalfa, then second-listed is a grain,, and etc., etc.) I DO, and will continue to, feed soaked beet pulp(mostly for its 'additional, useful' FIBER, AND hydration value), AND, a stabilized ground flax, for its SEVERAL excellent benefits...no matter what else I am feeding.

I am not showing nor do I intend to; however, my horses all have thick, SHINY, healthy-looking coats, even now in winter. I feed generous portions of straight grass hay twice daily, a moderate feed of straight alfalfa once daily, soaked beet pulp once daily, from 3/4 lb. to 1.25 lb. of 'Thrive'daily, split into two feedings...and have just begun adding 1/4-1/2 C. of straight timothy pellets once daily, since it's getting colder.Even now, not really 'in shape', they are in excellent flesh, with little hint of 'hay bellies'. Works for me!!

Margo

Here on the NW coast, the price for Purina Miniature Horse feed is alot higher. I just checked our 2 sources. One was $18.99 and the other was $23.99. Doesn't make much sense that it would be that much more.

I'm really surprised that you guys are having issues with the color becoming dull. In two weeks time my horses' color got DARKER.

Weight has also blossomed on some of them!

Interesting.

I don't like it. I tried it with a few different horses and they all looked better on what i had them on before. Didn't try it on any growing horses because I feel like there is definitely not enough protein or other nutrients for them. I might try it with two older mares that I have with low thyroids. I'll wait until winter is over though-my problem was that my stallions and geldings that I tried using it with dropped weight over their toplines and hips and lost muscle tone. None were being shown or worked and are generally 'easy keepers'.

I bought my first bag last week and am still switching them over so i don't know. But they sure like eating it! Tractor Supply here was $15.99 a bag.

What company puts out the Prime Glo? is ADM the company? I have been using the purina mini feed. He likes it but his coat is getting dull on it and I wouldn't mind changing to something to make him shiny again. He is also a bit overweight. Alot is winter woolies but he could stand to loose alittle weight. He gets about 2 lbs of hay 2 times a day. the grain he gets 1/2 cup 2 times a day.
Yes ADM is the company.

http://www.admani.com/AllianceEquine/

I've been using the Mini feed since mid summer. Honestly? I can't tell a difference. They were on Strategy before this. Everyone but the hard keeper (who is still on Omolene 300 because that's the only she'll eat!) is still heavier than they should be, but not as fat as I've seen elsewhere. I don't if I'll keep them on this or research other options. I have to agree that I'm finding feeding straight alfalfa has done a *world* of good for my hard keeper. Since moving to nearly all alfalfa for her, her appetite has improved a 100%. The others are still getting a mixed grass with occasional alfalfa put out as a treat.

Ive actually been looking into the ADM feed for my weanling who is coming home soon. Its very, very hard to find around me. I need to make more calls tomorrow, but today when I called dealers, I could only find ones who carried patriot, not the primeglo and juniorglo, and even those dealers were an hour away.

Im planning to put my adult horses on the senior active, and my weanling on ultium growth. If I didnt live in an area with crappy feed choices, they would be on Blue Seal or ADM

Purina makes MINI HORSE FEED???!!

lol thats weird....

I read where Jamie at JMS has been checking it out and loves it but I was curious if anyone else on here uses it?

How does it compare in price to other feed?

Thanks

L:)

Having a flash back from the platform days, how much does a bag of the new feed weigh? As I recall, that feed was in a lower weight bag which made it way much more expensive.

Last year our vet told us we weren't giving our babies enough fat with the omolene 200 so we have switched them to something with more fat this year. Hoping this will stem off any ulcer problems this year.

I am a Purina fan through and through. However, I put all of my minis on the Purina Mini Feed this summer. All had wonderful coats, great weight and muscle tone and were being fed Omolene 200 or Strategy as well as their supplements. I switched to the mini feed, and was happy at first. However, after time, I lost toplight weight, started getting dull coats, more belly and less back weight. I have now switched everyone back to their respective feeds. Some Equine Sr, some Omolene 200, etc. It might be just fine for a non working mini, but I am not sold on it.

Ok I'm sure I posted on this liking this feed and couldn't say anything but good things about it. I'm going to change my answer. In Sept. at AMHR Nationals my one guy I noticed had such a real dull coat. He has been on the mini feed for a few months, at least past the 60 day challange.

June, 2011 MoorGLO by ADM

Coat real shiny and colorful but was still overweight even with exercise. Feed was 18% fat, limited starch.

285771_1874126220910_1473817765_31628399_8131894_n.jpg

September, 2011 Miniature Horse & Pony by Purina

Condition is good but coat is dull and not shiny, I don't think he was spot on as in the past either.

292084_2009914975544_1473817765_31772054_728779189_n.jpg

Soon after Nationals he stopped eating. With all that has been going on I was treating him like an ulcer case. But after 2 weeks of not eating the grain and not getting better with treatment I took him to a equine hospital but after much tests he was the picture of perfect health. The vet told me that he was not a fan of the new mini feed as it wasn't much nutrients for the horses and a high NSC %. So I put him on a new feed called PrimeGLO by ADM. It's for mature horses that are trail or light performance horses. I wouldn't hesitate to go with the MoorGLO again, he looked awesome on it besides being overweight but he was overweight to begin with. The one thing I like about ADM is you don't need to feed a whole lot of grain as their main focus is forage as it should be. Right now I'm giving him .60 of a pound of grain daily along with close to 5#s of hay a day. Where as on the mini feed he was getting over a pound of grain a day along with 3#s of hay. If you can get ADM feeds in your area I highly recommend speaking with them and what is the best option for your girl. The PrimeGLO might not be enough for her so they may suggest something like MoorGLO or HealthyGLO.

Also wanted to say after the vet visit and got my horse back I was giving him the mini feed again to try and mix the PrimeGLO so I can switch over. He wouldn't eat it. So I decided just to give the PrimeGLO and now he fights me just to get to the bucket. He loves it.

In the fall, all of my horses loose their color when clipped. I have a dark palomino stallion and when clipped for shows in the fall he looses a lot of his dark color. so it is probably not the food. I tried all kinds of feed at that time.

I have been on the Mini feed for a month now. With the move down here to florida. Many of my horses lost weight. With the costal hay rather than Alfalfa, I have had a hard time getting the weight back on the horses. One month after starting this feed, most of my horses are gaining weight nicely. I love it!!

In the fall, all of my horses loose their color when clipped. I have a dark palomino stallion and when clipped for shows in the fall he looses a lot of his dark color. so it is probably not the food. I tried all kinds of feed at that time.

I have been on the Mini feed for a month now. With the move down here to florida. Many of my horses lost weight. With the costal hay rather than Alfalfa, I have had a hard time getting the weight back on the horses. One month after starting this feed, most of my horses are gaining weight nicely. I love it!!
This is him back in 2008 at Nationals. Still has his color. He was on the Platform mini feed then before something different happened to the feed that competely made me thru it out the following year.

27817P9100131small-med.jpg

The ADM feeds are hard to find unfortuantly. I'm fortuanate that I have a dealer down here can get me what I need the next day.

Don't forget about the freight charges, everything where I live is expensive and its mostly because we are so darn far from anywhere that the freight just kills you.

I also don't know if all TSC's charge the same price on products, as there'll be more freight charges on items sent to stores further from the shipping depots.
It is always surprising how much difference there is in the price of feed from area to area. We switched from Strategy last Spring and we love it. Mares and foals did well and we recently had to cut back on the amount we were feeding as some chubiness was creeping in. Also puts nice shine on their coats. We are currently paying $13.75

Latest posts

Back