Purina Miniature Horse and Pony Feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcwallis

Reaction score
I read where Jamie at JMS has been checking it out and loves it but I was curious if anyone else on here uses it?

How does it compare in price to other feed?

Thanks

L:)

I have been using it about 75 days and love it!

Edit for feed prices

We were using omelene that was about 16-17 dollars a bag and this is 13.50

Last edited by a moderator:
We switched all of ours months ago (from strategy) and love it. I have found though that I dont have to feed as much as I did Strategy or they get a little plump.

Around here its a little less than strategy

Love it... I was feeding omelene 100 and am saving about 3.20 per bag and the results have been great per horse. Everyone looks great!!!...

I have been feeding it since March and you can see what my horses look like on my website. We are like kaykay, had to cut back. Right now I get mine for $12.79 a bag but I have a great feed store that gives me a farmers discount so it ends up being $12 a bag. I am paying about $4 less a bag for my feed now, I was feeding Omelene 200 and love it as well, but with the cost of everything going up, I was thrilled to find this feed works great for our horses.

I feed it.

My yearlings are doing great, as are my mares, gelding, and filly.

I fed Omelene 300 which was $19.33 a bag. (1 bag a week) I now feed the Mini Horse feed at $13.00 (and some odd change) a bag. If I have coupons I can go with $8 a bag.

EDIT: I also wanted to note that I have three dwarves on it and they've been doing well. For my mare her weight has gained and stayed constant. My gelding has slimmed down some in his pot belly, and my yearling has gained and her color has flourished.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also am feeding it. Currently only my stallion, but he is doing exceptionally well on it. His condition improved immediately, as he had run weight off during the month and a half he was in with mares. He's also getting alfalfa, and is very happy! I am VERY pleased with this grain! I also pay 13.50 (or so) per bag. It is less than most other available grain mixes, and has a better outcome (in my opinion- I've never had another grain have a horse looking so good, so quickly, and not be super expensive). So far, Hollywood loves it, and we are thrilled with it. We are thinking about putting the girls on it as well, but they are all VERY fat on hay only.

We have everyone on it now. Really like it. I love how the whole herd can be on it. I dont have to have several feeds anymore. The cost is cheaper than strategy and omolene which is nice too.
default_smile.png

I have decided to give this feed a try. It's only been a couple weeks, so don't know yet if I like it. it is $14.99 here

I feed it.

My yearlings are doing great, as are my mares, gelding, and filly.

I fed Omelene 300 which was $19.33 a bag. (1 bag a week) I now feed the Mini Horse feed at $13.00 (and some odd change) a bag. If I have coupons I can go with $8 a bag.

EDIT: I also wanted to note that I have three dwarves on it and they've been doing well. For my mare her weight has gained and stayed constant. My gelding has slimmed down some in his pot belly, and my yearling has gained and her color has flourished.
Where do you get coupons?

Apparently I am the sole dissenter. I do not use it. My vet feels it doesn't have enough fat in it for my show and breeding horses.

If I had several easy keepers then I might invest in it, but I only have one or two that I would feed it to right now, and that's not enough for a speedy enough turnover for me.

I'm with Val - have not tried this one, but I did try the last mini feed that came out and was not satisfied with it except for easy keepers who tend to do well on anything. I feed a Bluebonnet feed I'm really happy with, and will probably stay with it unless the cost just goes through the roof.

I'm with Val - have not tried this one, but I did try the last mini feed that came out and was not satisfied with it except for easy keepers who tend to do well on anything. I feed a Bluebonnet feed I'm really happy with, and will probably stay with it unless the cost just goes through the roof.
I agree that the Platform Miniature Horse & Pony feed was not all that great however I would advise giving the Purina Miniature Horse & Pony feed a chance. Especially if looking for a "new" feed. I do notice a huge difference in my guys and gals. Whatever you decide to feed --- Good Luck! It's all trial & error to an extent anyway.
default_smile.png

I searched Purina after I posted, and looked at the ingredients/description of this feed.....will admit it looks pretty good. It's got a 4.5% fat, and what I'm feeding now has 6%, protein is 13.5% I think and I'm feeding 14%. What I've always liked about Bluebonnet is the fact that their ingredients are constant. The price may fluctuate with the market, but they don't substitute lower graded ingredients as many feed companies do. If I were not happy with them I would certainly give it a try - I've fed a lot of Purina over the last 40 years.
default_smile.png

Jan

There is no similarity between that horrible Platform feed and the new Purina feed! Don't be confused.

I raise my hand being disatisfied with the Platform mini feed. The first year I liked it and either something changed with it or what but I even had one horse become anemic on it. Plus paying $18 a bag was redicolous.

I love this new Purina mini feed. My show horses look and feel great. Concerning the low fat if the fat content was any higher I wouldn't be able to feed it. My show horses are easy keepers and they do get worked, but they only get the maintence level of grain along with hay. So it all depends on the horse. I couldn't be happier with this feed.

Paying $13.50 a bag here.

Latest posts

Back