Purina Hydration Hay

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristi0119

Reaction score
I saw this on Purina's website. Is this a new product? Any feedback? I thought it might be good for increasing winter hydration.

The only real problem I have is the low protein content- but OTOH it is guaranteed at that level- hay will vary form bale to bale. I can see this having a purpose when packing for a show, but I would not want to use it all the time, I don't think.

It sounds like a good idea, but I bet is pretty pricey. I would have a problem feeding it because I weigh all feed & hay for each horse and I imagine that would be hard to break up into smaller amounts when it is dry.

I soak alfalfa cubes or any other form of forage I feed when I want to add water to a horse's diet. My mare on TC Safe Starch Forage gets it soaked a lot of the time. We also use a chopped dehydrated alfalfa for the show horses and it is fed wet. Very easy to store and transport. Standlee makes a grass + alfalfa cube that would probably soak very well and could be weighed out in smaller servings.

I feed my show horses the Standlee Alfalfa/Timothy cubes and they work great. I generally feed them soaked and they are easy to pull apart. They are also easy to weigh dry.

I would be very interested in seeing this product and will watch for it at my feed stores.

I've been alternating soaked alfalfa pellets and beet pulp shreds but both of my minis are little piggies so I don't want to give them too much. I just thought it would be another good way to increase their water intake since they aren't drinking as much water in the winter. I can't find any prices on TSC online...it probably is pricey!

I've been alternating soaked alfalfa pellets and beet pulp shreds but both of my minis are little piggies so I don't want to give them too much. I just thought it would be another good way to increase their water intake since they aren't drinking as much water in the winter. I can't find any prices on TSC online...it probably is pricey!
If you enter your zip code, I think then the prices are available (it'll put up prices for your closest TSC, I think).

I looked at this at Equine Affaire today. It's very finely chopped and they had a demo of course. Very easily breaks up and does soak quickly. Up here in New England it's priced at 24.99 per package and should be hitting the stores Thursday.

I think it would be great for older horses with teeth problems for sure it's not course at all.

I came across this product for the first time today at the Equine Affaire. The rep said it will be available at local dealers soon. The MSRP for a 24 block package is $24.95. Each block makes 5 pounds of soaked hay. They can be broken into smaller pieces for smaller portions pretty easily too. The main intent of the product is to keep horses hydrated when traveling, recovering from illness, etc. The soak time is only 15 minutes, which is way better than any cubed product I have come across. While it may not be cost effective for everyday use, it certainly has my attention for travel and recovering horses.

A question for those who have seen it....is it chopped too finely to serve as the long fiber that a horse needs? An inch or greater in length?

A question for those who have seen it....is it chopped too finely to serve as the long fiber that a horse needs? An inch or greater in length?
No, it is chopped pretty fine, but does satisfy the long stem fiber requirement. I asked the rep specifically about that. When soaked in a bucket it doesn't look all that different from alfalfa/hay cubes. The advantage is that is absorbs water like a sponge, and does so quickly.

Its pretty pricey and I have seen it at my local feedstore. It would be convenient for a show, but I dont think I would use it any other time.

The only real problem I have is the low protein content- but OTOH it is guaranteed at that level- hay will vary form bale to bale. I can see this having a purpose when packing for a show, but I would not want to use it all the time, I don't think.
Jane, I think that would depend on what else you are feeding with it. I have 'grown' my yearling show colt on Progressive Nutritions' Grass Balancer and Timothy hay, pellets and compressed from Standlee. Both are 8% protein but the Grass Balancer at 30% protein, balances it out nicely.

Back